Gunner Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
Hey someone cut your 10/22 in half. ;)

That's a fine looking collection. Do you hunt them?

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey someone cut your 10/22 in half. ;)

That's a fine looking collection. Do you hunt them?
Mostly just wild hogs. I've got so many people in my family that deer hunt, I can't justify hunting deer when I know I don't need the meat. I was raised that you ate what you shot or you shot and gave the prepared meat to someone that needs it.
I have a freezer that still has deer steaks and deer sausage from last year. By the end of deer season, I'll have it full again and tons of deer jerky. I go to deer camp and have a ball and will take out some of our youngest. We always have an adult with the younger kids. I'm going to take my grand niece on her first deer hunt this year. Shooting from a deer stand (which I hate stands) on a large property my relatives own that is full of deer. I forgot to say I still turkey hunt and duck hunt but I give all the duck away because I never developed a taste for duck even though we needed the food and if it was on the table, you ate it. Mom and my sis, were great cooks but I just never liked the meat regardless of how it was prepared. Go figure.
We have a ton of deer, turkey, duck of course and unfortunately wild bore. Don't fool yourself. Wild hogs taste horrible and most of the processer's won't touch them anymore. They smell like crap. Farmers/ranchers want you to hunt them as long as you don't shoot their cattle...Ha. I'll go and shoot them but I'm not hauling them off. Some take a back hoe and bury them but most just leave them and the other hogs will eat their own. Nothing but a blood spot as they even eat the bones.
I shoot a lot of distance and accuracy stuff since I reload. We live in a very rural area and have friends that have made some very nice shooting ranges in the woods. It's just for us and not open to the public but a few are outstanding. A couple you can get out to 1500 yards on steel. Most all of us can get out to 500. Note the Ruger precision 6.5 creedmoor. That baby got legs and can go. Have a grendel that will run as well but I love shooting my lever guns as well as my AR and AK. I'll post a pic of my handguns sometime. I'm a big fan of 1911's and love CZ's. P07 and shadow are shooters. I have holosuns on most of them as I'm a big fan of the holosun 507 c's shake to wake. You may see the Lone Wolf AR 9mm I have on the floor (had to check it it was one I had put in the picture). That is a fun gun that's made for glock mags. Accurate as heck.
I keep saying I'm going to cull my collection and have started on some of my pistols. Just sold my Kimber Desert Warrior TFS SOC 45 a few days ago. Hard to let it go but it's hard to let any of them go but if I don't shoot them, or I have several of the same cal, I have been letting them go. I'll start on the long guns soon but heck....I love them all. Ha.
Lost my train of thought. Here I am talking about thinning the herd and I've been looking at a Henry .17 hmr lever gun. Going to get the heirloom series because it will go to my grand nephew with some others.
I'm a mess. Ha. Sorry for the length of this

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
I killed wild hog in TX and had it processed and it was the mildest pork I have eaten. It was actually quite good. Now I didn't kill the big bruiser bores but took the eatin size.

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I killed wild hog in TX and had it processed and it was the mildest pork I have eaten. It was actually quite good. Now I didn't kill the big bruiser bores but took the eatin size.

View attachment 12167
Of course, all hog meat taste depending what they eat, and what they eat her in southern ok must be horrid. Where did you take it at? Also, how do you prepare it and what parts do you take?

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A buddy wanted me to come over this weekend (to his place) and shoot a few. He has a deer feeder they have taken over as well as tearing the heck out of his range and whats left of his game garden. Looks great right now but suppose to have rain tonight with some wind so I'll have to see. Got a bit a tiny bit of bleeding going on right now that my wife caught me coughing up, so doing anything may be out of the question....Ha. Yes she scares me.....ha again.

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
Your wife is right. Not something to mess with if your coughing up blood it's time to find out why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts