Gunner Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Henry .17 hmr lever action varmint rifle in and it needed some bling. I dropped it by a professional plating place that will sand down the coat, clean, copper plate then follow with nickle plating. Should give the cover a lot more durablilty to sctatching and will look cool as heck. I can do small plalting but I'd have to buy a bigger power supply and aerator. Should'nt take but a couple of hours if they're not busy, but it's a small job so.....
It's going to look outstanding

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Sounds like you got a deal. Back in the Seventies, I had a Ruger Mark I black chrome plated; set me back $50 for a well done job. A couple of years ago, I thought about getting another pistol done, and the cost was impractical, more than the gun. Place told me that new EPA regs had quadrupled their prices. Most of their business had went from car bumpers to restoring antiques.

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you got a deal. Back in the Seventies, I had a Ruger Mark I black chrome plated; set me back $50 for a well done job. A couple of years ago, I thought about getting another pistol done, and the cost was impractical, more than the gun. Place told me that new EPA regs had quadrupled their prices. Most of their business had went from car bumpers to restoring antiques.
It's a ton more expensive now. Because of how thin the action cover is, a lot of work will have to be done. I expected that and it is going to cost a bunch. A WHOLE BUNCH! Ha! I could have done it myself but to upgrade my small plateing set up, would have ran pretty high and I'm having it done by some people that do an outstanding job. They are the go to for High quality plateing. They have had a lot of their work win at show bikes and if your not familiar with show bikes (like low rider bicyles) you are missing it. Beautiful and expensive.
If you want quality, you pay for it. I have to figure out a way to show my Henry's and still keep them safe from a breakin.
I've got an idea of using a combination of wallstuds and solid bars that won't take away from the beauty but keep anyone wanting to take it, impossible. It will include the camera system and an alarm. I've already got the internal setup and equiptment just figureing out the inlay to the wall. I know what it will look like in my head as well as how I plan to do it.
Some good things about having OCD

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I didn't think plating would do well on something flexible?

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think plating would do well on something flexible?
It's not really flexable unless you remove it. Henry suggest you never break down your rifle and to use a snake to clean the barrel and qtips for the rest. Easy peasy. Lots of flexable metals are plated and have no issue particularly when so little flex is involved in mounting the action cover. Worse comes to worse, I just replace the cover for about 50 bucks. if this has an issue, I'm going to rattle can or full cover decal. I'll add a coating for additional protection. I thing it will be fun to figure out what works but I think this will be just fine.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Fine looking results there, Brando. Really nicely done.

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
That's a looker for sure. Great job.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Looking pretty sharp!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts