Gunner Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought one of my scopes would be a good fit for the Henry hmr .17 varmint but I think the bell is just too big. It's a great scope but a couple of things have convinced me to move to different scope. I've got the scope bell and tube not touching but it's the tiniest of clearance. With the dove tail top, I need help picking out rings and scope. I don't want a budget rings or scope (I'm far from rich but I don't want to buy twice because I'm not satisfied. I would prefer FFP but not a deal breaker. I haven't a clue what scope would be good for the .17 or the dove tail. I'm wanting something more than 12 power to 16 power with low as 4 power. Perhaps one of our sponcers have something.
I just got the Henry yesterday and cleaned it this morning and mounted and leveled the retical/action.
Please offer your suggestions. It will be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
11,063 Posts
Good rule of thumb is 1X of magnification for each 10 yards you will be shooting at. I put a 3x9 on my 22 Mag as I figured beyond 100 yards was a stretch and I put a 2x7 on my 22 LR. Another suggestion is spend more than you think you will. I like Leupold and Zeiss but have heard good things about Vortex and Nikon. There are several new ones out there that I have zero experience with.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I'm a zero on scopes, I've only owned two in my life. A Tasco 3-7X20 rimfire, actually not bad in good light. Same Ruger 10/22 now has a Simmons 22 Mag in 4X32.

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good rule of thumb is 1X of magnification for each 10 yards you will be shooting at. I put a 3x9 on my 22 Mag as I figured beyond 100 yards was a stretch and I put a 2x7 on my 22 LR. Another suggestion is spend more than you think you will. I like Leupold and Zeiss but have heard good things about Vortex and Nikon. There are several new ones out there that I have zero experience with.
Ordering the 6-24x50 Arken for my 223/556 NATO long ranger Lever action Henry. I have one on my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creed and it's outstanding. Probably go ahead and get the same for the .17 Henry varmint. YES, you can always move to low power if you can move your fingers....Ha. Price is about the same as the Arken 4-16x50 so go with the big.
Thank you Terry for responding. I hope I can incourage more people to respond to all post. It adds to the content and good to read as it may answer other questions, or make other questions that tie in and generally bring more to the site and table.
Thanks you

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Boston. I'm a BoSox fan but my heart also rest in the city of Angels of the Dodger ilk.
Thank you Boston for responding. It's a great help to those of us asking questions and encourages others to get involved in the forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts