Gunner Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I have a question for you all that I would love answered. I just bought a Marlin 336w 30-30. From what I have read the stock iron sights are not that great So I would like to replace those. I would also like to have a scope on my rifle. How would I go about being able to use iron sights and a scope at the same time? I am not too familiar with rifles.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Hi

Well, first of all there are see thru mounts, such as the Weaver, but, to be honest, a lot of us who shoot with scopes detest them. The problem is that you might raise your head high off the stock to see through the scope because the mounts sit so tall. For good rifle shooting technique, you should always strive to get your face firmly down on the stock. This helps not only with steadiness, but also consistency from shot to shot. This is also important should you move into a heavy kicking gun. A cheek not firmly planted on the stock won't be an issue with a 30-30, but, believe me, a cheek not firmly on the stock with a 444 is going to get slapped and slapped bad.

There are better options if you want both iron and scope on your gun. One is the XS Lever Scout mount and the XS peep sight combination. Mount a scout scope up front on quick release rings for scope use and then take it off if need be to use the iron sights. Fairly expensive way to go, though, but nice setup and it keeps your cheek down on the stock, too.

Me, I much prefer using one or the other - scope or iron sights - on my lever guns, but, then, I have a safe full of lever guns so I can keep some setup both ways. If I had to make one gun do it all, from close in to way out there, though, I would just add a 1-4x or 2-7x scope of good quality and forget the iron sights.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Feel free to ask questions on lever guns, around here. We love our lever guns on this forum.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
One more note. The biggest drawback to using a scope when hunting is in snow or rain. Any magnification when snowing makes rings look worse, same with rain. That's where a scope that goes down to 1x is a blessing.

Up here in Wisconsin, a lot of our hunters do use see the mounts as a way to make sure they are covered should it start snowing and it almost always does in Wisconsin during deer season. Me, I'd rather have a scope that goes down to 1x than use see thru mounts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much! Due to money restraints I was not able to buy the XS Rail you showed me. The one I got is the same brand but much shorter. Basically only for a scout scope. I will save up for some nicer iron sights to put on at a later time. So can quick release rings be bought by themselves or do they come attached to the scopes? Thank you so much for the information again!

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
You can buy quick release weaver style mounts, any brand, as long as they are weaver style. Leupold makes a good set, their QRW.

For a scout scope, you can also use a 2x pistol scope if you can find a used one, but only 2x in a pistol scope. 4x pistol scopes or higher tend to have the wrong kind of eye relief.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts