Gunner Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day in my parent's attic, another rifle found. So I went ahead and brought it home. Need some help with this.

Bolt action 30-06. Marked as follows:

Barrel:
Santa Fe Model 1946
Golden State Firearms Corp Pasadena Calif

Receiver
16XXX

Uh, ideas? I would certainly like to know as much as possible about this thing. And I will certainly be keeping it as part of my happy family of boomsticks.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
GOLDEN STATE ARMS
SANTA FE SPORTER .303 British (this is the Model 1944).....

Golden Sate Arms was one of the first North American arms companies to start commercially sporterizing military surplus arms (circa 1950-1960). They did this through their Santa Fe Division, not only sporterizing Enfields but also Mausers and such others.

Much like the companies that are currently doing this, Santa Fe invested considerable time and effort in milling down the rifles. Shortening the barrels on some, removing magazine charger bridges and removing rear sight bosses on others. Finishing touches included adding ramped front sights, rear express sights, polishing and re-bluing the finished product. They added modified military "sporter" stocks to some and outfitted others with new commercial wood. All in all, Golden State Arms offered about 11 different models of Enfields, each progressing up the dollar chain. One of these models is featured here, the Santa Fe Model 1944.

Perhaps what Golden State Arms is most famous for (though not widely known for) is coining the phrase "Jungle Carbine". In naming their look-a-like No5 and No6 rifles the Jungle Carbine, the name has stuck and is used in describing all shortened versions of the Enfield, original and fake. So complete has this assimilation been, that the term Jungle Carbine is used in advertising, reference books and by collectors alike, despite the fact that these rifles (original) were never officially designated as such.

·
Administrator
11,365 Posts
In 30/06 I'm guessing it is either a sporterized 1903 Springfield or 1917 Enfield as no caliber conversion would be necessary. My dad used to have a 03 Springfield that had been sporterized and it was a nice rifle. Like BH said a couple of photo's.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I am fairly certain that is a Mauser action. A Mauser in 30-06. The perfect rifle.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Definitely a Mauser, can't tell what model.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I scrubbed it, inspected it, and slicked it up. Took hours to get it clean enough and scrub the surface rust off. Bolt rolls nice now, bore looks fantastic. Gonna try to shoot it tomorrow.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...nice wood...does it say 30-06 on it anywhere? be careful...for unblued steel, the rear of the bolt sure does shine...how many years was it in the attic? Neat find...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All that was stored in that case with it was some 06 rounds. How long it was in the attic is probably about the last five years, but before that it would have been stowed away at my grandparents old house.

When my grandmother moved, things were kind of nuts. We were all still getting used to dad's injury and stuff like that, so I just stuffed everything firearm related in the attic at my parents without really looking through it. Now I am slowly working my way through those things.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is an after picture, along side one of my Model 12s. Doesn't look too much different than before in the photo, but it shined up damn good. Except for the bold handle. It is a little dull. I'll have to take some polish to that part.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I like it. The 30-06 is my favorite rifle caliber. There's not much it can't kill. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kim said:
Definitely a Mauser, can't tell what model.

Molon Labe

Kim
98. Now I need to find the lever that replaces the safety, so it can be operated with a scope. And I should have put up the pictures of when I took the bolt apart. THAT was where all the dirt grime and rust was. Apparently 'cleaning' and 'oiling' mean the same thing to somebody. Just dumped more and more lube in there. The firing pin wasn't using all of the travel due to the buildup. Need to do more than pull the bolt out to clean these things, people.

·
Administrator
11,365 Posts
If you put some taller rings on then the safety would probably fit under it.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
if ya ever have to remove that scope, take the oppertunity to also remove that front weaver base. you might find a crest or crown hidden underneath it.........

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Range report:

Tack.
Driver.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Isn't that nice to find on a high power. I have some that will shoot a great group and others that just don't. When you find a good one, hang on to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts