Gunner Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy a Henry Big Boy. Would you choose 44 magnum or 45 colt and why? I will not use it for hunting. Thinking about SASS cowboy shooting so leaning towards 45 colt. But 44 mag ammo is easy to get here in Florida. Seems that 45 colt is harder to get and more expensive.
Thanks so much.

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
Do you reload? For cowboy shooting I would look at 44 Special rounds in the mag anyways so probably would look toward the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt does lend itself to reloading with cast bullets as opposed to buying ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you reload? For cowboy shooting I would look at 44 Special rounds in the mag anyways so probably would look toward the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt does lend itself to reloading with cast bullets as opposed to buying ammo.
I do plan on reloading. seems the 45 colt would have more options.

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
With the colt you can go mild or wild. They can be loaded hot with less pressure generated than the Mag or download for Cowboy shooting. The 44 Mag is a fine hunting round and can be loaded down or just pick up 44 Spl cases. Not sure how the Spl cases would feed in a rifle. The old colt is a good choice if you roll your own cartridges.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the colt you can go mild or wild. They can be loaded hot with less pressure generated than the Mag or download for Cowboy shooting. The 44 Mag is a fine hunting round and can be loaded down or just pick up 44 Spl cases. Not sure how the Spl cases would feed in a rifle. The old colt is a good choice if you roll your own cartridges.
Thanks. The more I research on the 45 colt the more I like it. I definitely want to reload. The type of ammo choices seem to be very good.

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
So how far out in the future is the Henry? Be sure to post up pics when you get it.

If you are getting into reloading the first thing to get is a good reloading manual. I started with Speer but Hornaday or other bullet companies are excellent and work as well. Depending how they are written they will have a section either in the front or back that deals with how to reload and safe practices. Start by reading that and then go looking for equipment. Look for good used equipment as companies like RCBS make rugged equipment that will last for generations. I have an RCBS Rockchucker that I inherited from my dad 27 years ago and it is all I need for metallic cartridges. Start by educating yourself and then proceed slowly. When I used to be on e-bay I picked up a lot of my stuff on the cheap by picking auctions that were closing on a holiday weekend. The one area I didn't worry about cost was with my scale. I went with the RCBS 1500 electronic and later added the chargemaster system.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
My personal choice is, and was the 45 Colt, a pleasure to shoot. And, as Terry said, mild too wild! I was shooting a Marlin 1894 Cowboy version and was like plinking with a 22.

Reactions: bearcatter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So how far out in the future is the Henry? Be sure to post up pics when you get it.

If you are getting into reloading the first thing to get is a good reloading manual. I started with Speer but Hornaday or other bullet companies are excellent and work as well. Depending how they are written they will have a section either in the front or back that deals with how to reload and safe practices. Start by reading that and then go looking for equipment. Look for good used equipment as companies like RCBS make rugged equipment that will last for generations. I have an RCBS Rockchucker that I inherited from my dad 27 years ago and it is all I need for metallic cartridges. Start by educating yourself and then proceed slowly. When I used to be on e-bay I picked up a lot of my stuff on the cheap by picking auctions that were closing on a holiday weekend. The one area I didn't worry about cost was with my scale. I went with the RCBS 1500 electronic and later added the chargemaster system.
I am searching for big loop in steel.
Font Eyewear Office supplies Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
11 Posts
I plan to buy a Henry Big Boy. Would you choose 44 magnum or 45 colt and why? I will not use it for hunting. Thinking about SASS cowboy shooting so leaning towards 45 colt. But 44 mag ammo is easy to get here in Florida. Seems that 45 colt is harder to get and more expensive.
Thanks so much.
If you are thinking about starting to shoot SASS, then cannot stress enough that you DO NOT buy a Henry Big Boy for that purpose. Experienced cowboy shooters have seen too many eager new shooters show up to their first match and experience the pain of shooting a Henry "Jam-O-Matic" and then walk away disappointed, frustrated, and wondering how they can sell it at not too much of a loss. Don't get me wrong. Henry's are good guns, ...for out on the farm or plinking. They just can't run fast enough for cowboy action shooting nor can they be tuned up to do so. But if you want to buy a Henry for the sake of buying a Henry, go with the .44. If you are enamoured with the idea of getting a .45 Colt in a lever gun, then go with something like a Marlin or a Uberti.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are thinking about starting to shoot SASS, then cannot stress enough that you DO NOT buy a Henry Big Boy for that purpose. Experienced cowboy shooters have seen too many eager new shooters show up to their first match and experience the pain of shooting a Henry "Jam-O-Matic" and then walk away disappointed, frustrated, and wondering how they can sell it at not too much of a loss. Don't get me wrong. Henry's are good guns, ...for out on the farm or plinking. They just can't run fast enough for cowboy action shooting nor can they be tuned up to do so. But if you want to buy a Henry for the sake of buying a Henry, go with the .44. If you are enamoured with the idea of getting a .45 Colt in a lever gun, then go with something like a Marlin or a Uberti.
WOW!! Thanks so much for the heads up. I want a 45 colt to match my revolver. As far as Henry, I guess I fell for all the well made advertisements. I have watched dozens of guys on you tube review the big boy rifles and give then rave reviews. So can I still go with 45 colt as long as it's a marlin or Uberti?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For anyone interested,below is a reply from Henry support. I asked them if a Henry big boy can be used for SASS. - - - - - - - Their answer - - - -
While we have no doubts that our rifles will stand up to the competition in terms of shot volume, it is true that our action cannot be short stroked and expected to cycle.

That does not translate into needing repair but the lever does have a longer throw than the '92 and '73 clones that many shoot in SASS matches.

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
I have owned 3 levers in my lifetime: a model 94 clone from Sears in 30/30, a Marlin 336C in 35 Remington and a Savage M99 in 250/3000. I really liked the little Sears rifle and still kick myself for trading it off. The 336 I sold and basically turned it into a NIB Winchester 1300 slug gun with a scope. It's shotgun or muzzleloader in my area for deer so I felt the need.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I'd like a .22 lever with a loading gate. Nobody makes one, so I never owned one. I'd want a stainless one to go with my Bearcats.... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts