Gunner Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my Henry's. My big boy/golden boy, 357 mag/38 sp is outstanding. I have a couple more but I can't wait to get my Henry Long Ranger. It's made for a scope and I'm putting an Arken SH 4 Gen II 4-16x50 FFP optic on it. I reload and can't wait to see how much I can get out of this gun.

I also have a few marlin's. An old 39a that shoots great and in outstanding condition as well as my 336 ss in 30-30. I was floored about how smooth and accurate this puppy was. I did have to change out the loading gate that was just too still and replaced the trigger and spring to where she is butter smooth.

·
Administrator
11,063 Posts
Had to look it up as I am not familiar with it. It is a fine looking rifle, congrats. Detachable mags, should be a fine hunting gun. Post up up a range report when you get it and get a chance to put it thru it's paces.

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had to look it up as I am not familiar with it. It is a fine looking rifle, congrats. Detachable mags, should be a fine hunting gun. Post up up a range report when you get it and get a chance to put it thru it's paces.
I ordered 3 extra mags. It holds 5 and you can have one in the chamber for 6. The Arken scope (that I have two) will be a great addition but I said, it will be the power listed above and because I'm not that bright, moa and not Mil. The hornady match ammo will be used until I can work up loads as I reload. I love lever guns but have Colt AR, Ak, Ruger Precision 6.5 creedmoor and some other great rifles. My hand guns are great as well and I've got to cutting the herd a bit. Ha.
My lever guns are just my favorite and nothing feels more like a gun than a nice running lever action. I grew up with them and I've never been with one. My family was poor as dirt but I loved every minute of my life. It was great. We hunted and fished all year because the food helped. We all put ourselves through school as my Dad died of cancer at 8 and my mom had a stroke having me. My oldest sister had to raise the 3 of us babies. We had (and still have) a model 93. We shared it all the way down to me and was my first gun. My Dad was the first owner and he got it used. I love that gun and cleaned it almost weekly. Back then I used 3N1 oil and Tshirts for patches. Ha. We are so spoiled now. It going to my nephews oldest son as we lost our only child a few years back. I think a few of my guns will be going to him. I'm 65 with cancer and eventually the clock will wind down and this boy will pass them to his kids including my other special guns.
Anyway, I would take it out and shoot with my pocket full of 22 rounds. Back then you could buy them everywhere, guns too. I would pick them up at the gas station. Shot tons of bottles, rats and turtles. Also turkey's, quail, jackrabbits (all gone now....sad) and even doves. No shotgun when the gun is longer than you are at 8. Ha. Yes, before you thing this is high talk, we did take a lot of turkey with it as I knew where they roosted and it was pretty easy. Quail a bit harder but we had so many of them then. Couldn't walk a fence line with jumping a covey. Shoot in the middle and once in a bit you would get one. Dove we shot off bobwire fences. Easy. Since I went this far, I'm going to say we didn't exactly obey hunting seasons. And now for this. I did take a doe with a 22.
It still shoots great but it's pretty valuable now. We still take it out to shoot now and then and the barrel is in perfect shape. From their I graduated to the 30-30. Still the greatest deer rifle made. It too was a hand me down but not valuable in anyway then. Probably would be now because of the crazy prices for guns, but so many of those were made. It was the least used of our family guns. I also had a bolt actions, which were fine, but I still preferred the 30-30 lever. Wish I had kept that one as well but it was stolen out of the gun rack in the back window of my brothers truck. I wonder what kids would think of a picture of a high school student parking lot in 1972 and seeing 2 deer rifles or shotguns in every vehicle and those being loaded and trucks unlocked. Funny how the parking lot was where every fight was done, right next (sometimes on) those trucks but no one even thought about grabbing a gun. That just did not and would not happen. Things change.
Now, I just want to enjoy shooting. We have places here on land we/family/friends have that are great ranges (not public). We can get out to 1500 yds and thats where the Ruger Precision 6.5 creedmoor and grendel come in to play as well as reloading. Can't wait to see what kind of legs the 223/556 Henry has at distance. I'm going to have a blast. Already thinking about a 243 Henry to go with it. To be hones, I'm not a fan of the 45-70. Great gun and round for big game but getting a mule kick for half the fps of a 243 is not that much fun. Shoot a 45-70 a bunch in a day, and you will know it. Plus....pricy.
Sorry about getting long winded. I just love talking about guns and I want to see as many of you and the rest pic's or videos. I'll make some mistakes here as a new member. Please hit me across the nose when I do or say something outside the lines.

·
Administrator
11,063 Posts
Back in the day when your family depended on game for food the game wardens often looked the other way when they knew the family was hungry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts