Gunner Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lawn mowing got interrupted today by a neat little brush with nature.

Found this little guy, couldn't be more than two days old, along the fence. So small I thought it was a rabbit at first! And not very responsive. I didn't know if he was abandoned, injured, sick or starving. Never come across such a thing before.

I called animal control, as we are pretty close to a main road. Well that guy gave me some bad info, and we ended up taking the baby to our vet nearby. There, they said he was fine and really would make it through the night just fine. Likely, mom'd be by to pick him up overnight. If not and he was still there tomorrow, then probably the mom got hit by a car or something and we'd go to plan B.

So we put him back where we found him, and sure enough, as I'm putting away the mower I see a big doe at the far end of my neighbor's property, watching me carefully. I went inside, darkness fell, and I just snuck out with a flashlight to find that he was gone.

Don't you just love happy endings?

Now you deer hunters don't spoil this one for Natalie just yet, give this guy a few years to live a full life, okay? ;)

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
that sure is a fresh one..........

but he'll have his runnin' legs soon enough..............

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Now that's cool! My girl would want to keep him. Hell I might want to keep him. :D

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This guy was impossibly cute. If he was still here in need of care, I would have gladly cleared out the carport, thrown some straw in there and gotten some baby formula or whatever was necessary.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Never saw one that up-close...beautiful- love to "chase" em with a spotlite across a field and watch them play...I love venison better than most...but they sure are beautiful creatures.....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Awww so tiny and helpless. I'm glad his momma came back for him. Plan A is usually the best. Eddie, I think you were blessed in a big way to have him touch your life - to be able to hold him. I too would have wished to keep him. I've never seen a newborn like that before. He's beautiful! That's a day you'll always remember.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
That first picture is going to become my screensaver!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Thats what Momma deer do with their babies while their out foraging. My sister lives in a neighborhood with lots of deer (some will litterally eat out of your hand). She's always finding fawns laying in her yard, she just leaves them alone & soon the Momma will come back & get them. She also has a few Black deer, the way I understand it they are like albinos very rare.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Deadeye...they sure are...I saw one big black buck in Pa. as a kid...about 10-picking violets down in the woods behind my house...(to trade for gingerbread cookies from the granny lady next-door) and had about a 5-cookie bunch in my fist...on my knees when I heard a loud snort ....looked up to see the biggest deer I'd ever about 6 feet from me across the violet patch...which was probably his snack bar....and I looked down at my Daisy lever BB gun and dismissed all ideas of heroism and conquering the wild....grabbed my gun and ran all the way back to the yard...never saw him again...Dad said they were really rare....one was enough for me......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts