Gunner Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine yesterday at a gun show new in the box for $169.00. I stuck a cheap $40 red dot on top of it, and man is that thing fun.

The minuses: The trigger sucks, very mushy, the mags feed OK, and can be a little finicky when sticking in a fresh one, and finish on the receiver under the receiver cover is TERRIBLE.

The pluses: The gun was dirt cheap and it's freaking accurate, at 30 yards with the red dot, it's running 2" groups on very rapid fire. Recoil is non-existent. I have ran 100 rounds through it so far of FMJ, and have 0 FTF's. The sights come to the eye fast, and naturally, and you can get rounds off in a hurry.

For a knock around truck gun, for the price, I don't think you can beat this thing. Very cool little gun.

I thank JB for his review of this gun, it made me want to pick one up. :D

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
congrats!!!!!!!!!

we have a deputy that has one and it is plenty good..........

now for the 64 dollar question.......are ya going to get the matching handgun?

i'd still like to see them inroduce it in 45.......... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...they are supposed to be coming out with a .45 later this year according to their literature. But from what I've heard, there has been some delays.

Deputy...I think I'll stick to my P89 in the 9mm handgun department.

The next gun on my list is probably a SP101, or to really save up, and buy a nice 1911. It's going to be awhile either way. I've bought 4 so far this year, and the wife is starting to wonder. :cool:

Fun little gun, and with the red dot on it, VERY fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,148 Posts
Thats a good deal and a fun gun, Enjoy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
When they come out with one in .45 ACP I'm there. :D I just can't see shelling out $500 + for a Beretta CX4 in .45 ACP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
so many times i've looked at them, and so many times i've walked away. For the price you paid i probably would have bought it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
Have been meaning for two weeks to write this up in the range report section, but this seems like good a place as there.

I had a "hand in glove" experience with a Marlin Camp 9 carbine. I totally love this gun, and am going to buy it from my friend when I get the cash. I know that many will poo-poo the 9mm, even in rifle form, but this gun was made for me. I was more accurate with it than with my .22 rifle. I also like the thought of having both a rifle and a pistol in the same caliber.

Don't get me wrong, this will not take the place of the the 30-30 lever gun that is on my must have list, but it certainly will be a nice addition to my small collection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bountyhunter said:
the mags feed OK
By this do you mean that it jams up? I'd really like to have one in 45 acp, but if it jams a lot I don't think I'd keep it long. :?
No, I have had no jams at all.

The problem is the pistol grip is hollow as that's where you feed the magazine. when you get the mag about half way into the grip it starts riding in a the track that locks the mag into place. The problem is the hollow in the pistol grip allows the mag to go one way or another before making contact with the track. This means that sometimes you have to wiggle the mag from side to side once in a while (not all the time) to get the mag to feed smoothly into place. It just doesn't have the fastest magazine changes. Hope that helps.

I ran another 50 rounds through it last night, still have had 0 FTFs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,148 Posts
The one my friend has is very reliable, and a hoot to shoot. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
Cruelshoes said:
I had a "hand in glove" experience with a Marlin Camp 9 carbine. I totally love this gun, and am going to buy it from my friend when I get the cash.
i really wanted a marlin camp carbine years back----till i shot one....... :x
seems that is is not left hand friendly----or at least the example i shot wasn't-----painfull with the brass and some blow-back coming back in my face.............

but righties that owned them would rather fight than switch.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
deputy125 said:
Cruelshoes said:
I had a "hand in glove" experience with a Marlin Camp 9 carbine. I totally love this gun, and am going to buy it from my friend when I get the cash.
i really wanted a marlin camp carbine years back----till i shot one....... :x
seems that is is not left hand friendly----or at least the example i shot wasn't-----painfull with the brass and some blow-back coming back in my face.............

but righties that owned them would rather fight than switch.........
Good point, I can't imagine it working well for a wrong, er I mean left handed person. ;)
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
25,453 Posts
Johngoboom said:
Bountyhunter said:
the mags feed OK
By this do you mean that it jams up? I'd really like to have one in 45 acp, but if it jams a lot I don't think I'd keep it long. :?
No, I have had no jams at all.

The problem is the pistol grip is hollow as that's where you feed the magazine. when you get the mag about half way into the grip it starts riding in a the track that locks the mag into place. The problem is the hollow in the pistol grip allows the mag to go one way or another before making contact with the track. This means that sometimes you have to wiggle the mag from side to side once in a while (not all the time) to get the mag to feed smoothly into place. It just doesn't have the fastest magazine changes. Hope that helps.


I ran another 50 rounds through it last night, still have had 0 FTFs.
It does help. That's a minor problem imo. Jamming is a major problem though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,201 Posts
Nice thing is the HP 995 like all HP products is warrenteed for LIFE of the gun, not the owner. You can transfer from owner to owner and it still has the same no questions ask warentee.

Rumor has it that the HP 945 will be available as an 09 production.

Keep a heads up and get more magazines for you carbines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,098 Posts
...it seems that if the magazine well has too much play...a shim could be glued to the side of the magazine...formica or something...to align it better as it goes in....
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top