Gunner Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bringing my 30/06 to TX for hog hunting. I loaded some 150 gr CT partition over 48,49,50 and 51 gr of 4064. The 48 seemed weak and grouped 2 3/4". The rest 1 5/8", 2 1/4" and 1 1/2" respectively. It was windy so don't know if that affect the group size or not and my rest wasn't that great but was fairly staedy.. The 51 gr showed some promise as two of the three bullets were touching and the third opened it up to 1 1/2". The Nosler manual lists 52 gr as the max so I'm going to load up some at 51, 51.5 and 52 gr and go back tomorrow. If they slow down enough I'd like to shoot for the head otherwise the chest cavity so I want to be comfortable with the load.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
enjoy your hunt and get ready to work the bolt fast...........after the first shot, they do shift into a chinese fire drill at high gear........ :lol:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
It'll pay off in the end to do some experimenting now I would think. They are tough little buggers. A solid hit with a good quality bullet are needed for sure.

·
Administrator
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went back over this afternoon with loads in 51, 51.5 and 52 gr of 4064. The first grouped 1.5" again, the 51.5 load was horizontally strung across the paper and the 52.0 gave 1 1/8". It was still windy and the sun was low and in my eyes so may be even better. At my club we only have one 100 yard station and I so didn't want to take too much time as a guy showed up after I had just one shot down range from my muzzleloader that I also brought. I have them both zeroed znd ready. I may head back next week just to see how close I can get it as I want to verify my shotgun with 3" saboted slugs is still on. That will be a short session, shoot one yup still an inch high and centered at 100 yards, rub shoulder and put it away and get another gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts