Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Mid-May I will have shoulder surgery and only have use of my strong side arm for a couple to three months. In 2015 I had the strong side shoulder done and ordered Crimson Trace grips for my SP101 and used that. I figured I didn't need to aim off handed just put the dot on target and shoot. Fortunately, I never had to test that theory but think it is still sound. I will put the grips back on and load it with 38 Spl +P's, the old FBI load not the Buffalo Bore mini-357's.

Ordinarily I use a Sig P250 Compact in 45 ACP for the nightstand but think the SP may fill the bill better even though there is reduced capacity and no real way to reload. It's just with the laser I think I can put more rounds on target with the SP. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Sounds good if the laser shows a solid grip with the SP. It seems some guns "lock" into your hand, and some don't. With my SP, the standard grip is a little small, and the Hogue rubber is better but a little big. I'd probably have a dancing dot with either.
I think I have the best grip with a single stack auto, but I like revolvers :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have practiced a lot with the SP and have done a lot of 7-yard point shooting with it so the laser is just positive reinforcement. I may still keep on of my Sigs as a Brooklyn reload although never had a problem where we live and have been there 34 years.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
You must have size SP hands. None of my guns are a great fit, but my hands must be good for Bearcats. Most people complain about the small grip, but I like it better than the larger Ruger SAs.
NH must be pretty quiet going on your 34 years. I just saw a news story on Pensacola, guy threw gas on a convenience store clerk and set her on fire. Critical condition. Nowhere is safe.

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The insert grips on the SP fit my hands well. I still have to grip a bit lower to avoid the knuckle rap from the trigger guard but the SP just feels natural in my hand. I don't mind shooting 357 mags loaded near the top. Just doesn't bother me. I probably have 3k rounds thru it, most reloads.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I keep the black inserts on my bedside SP, and rubber Hogue on the 22 version. It came with the laser engraved walnut inserts that are stored until I sell it. I have a set of solid nylon Hogues that are okay on the 22, but hard for my 38s.
You should try a pocket pistol. I can get 1 1/2 fingers on a Guardian. There's an optional finger extension but it's tight for me and can pop the mag loose.
There's a 10 round (versus 6) extended mag available, but it ruins the concealability, so I've never gotten one.

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed out the inserts for a pair of Rosewood from the old RF user 44Magnum. I actually have a couple of them I bought from him.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It took a while for fancy inserts surrounded by rubber to grow on me, but I'll stick with the black plastic. I've seen every material you can imagine on eBay. I'd have trouble deciding.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I never thought about your situation and sold my CT guns, just going to have to rely mo my wife and/or practice more with my weak hand and one handed shooting.

• Sad
Reactions: bearcatter

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Revolvers are awesome in regards to reliability. However I think that you should have an alternative firearm for a backup due to capacity limits of the revolver, Quite often these criminals travel with buddies..

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Revolvers are awesome in regards to reliability. However I think that you should have an alternative firearm for a backup due to capacity limits of the revolver, Quite often these criminals travel with buddies..
I like revolvers better. That's why my carry is my only semi-auto handgun. Easier to hide and reload. My bedside SP, I'll just trust 5 rounds to be enough. Reloader in the dark would be iffy.
The new Zastavas may change that, if I ever see them. They are half again bigger than a Guardian, but maybe I'll have a new alternative for both situations. They are 8+1, versus 6+1 Guardian, 5 in the SP.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I may keep my Sig P320 in 45 ACP as a reload. ;)
With an off shoulder maybe you could consider .38s in the SP for a while. I can't do .357. My bedside SP has nasty .38 Hornady XTP JHPs.

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I have some of the old FBI loads in 38 +P and I'll load them in it. I wouldn't load 357's for home use the blast would stun you inside the confines of a home.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I've read that .357 can pass through two drywall interior walls and stop at the third.

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't worry about the penetration of a round as everyone on the internet is so afraid of. There is just me and my wife and my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile so if I penetrate one BG and into another, "oh well". The problem is a 357 in a short BBL puts out a shock wave that bounces off walls in a home. Sure if you hit the BG he is likely out of action but after the shock you aren't on top of your game either. Iowegan uses 38 Spl, 148 gr full wadcutters loaded down in his HD revolver. Probably not a bad idea. Low recoil and low blast but still 148 gr at 800 fps isn't something you want to walk into.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I understand that in a house without muffs, you can't half hear for a while after the bang. A considerate bad guy could wait until you get 'em on. :rolleyes:
MY XTP 38s are 125 gr with deep notches in the jacket, claims expansion is nearly double.

• Haha
Reactions: SmittyJ

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is the excessive flash you get from firing a revolver in the dark over a semi-auto. I shot my short barreled Security Six with magnum loads in the dark a couple of times and it was quite shocking.

• Sad
Reactions: bearcatter

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like having a torch in your hand that's loud. With the 38 SPL I expect the flash will be lower. With the laser it should help aiming one handed if I need to use it. Never had a problem in the 34 years we have been there but I still like to be prepared.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts