Gunner Forum banner

Home Defense Choice

3K views 61 replies 6 participants last post by  SmittyJ 
#1 ·
In Mid-May I will have shoulder surgery and only have use of my strong side arm for a couple to three months. In 2015 I had the strong side shoulder done and ordered Crimson Trace grips for my SP101 and used that. I figured I didn't need to aim off handed just put the dot on target and shoot. Fortunately, I never had to test that theory but think it is still sound. I will put the grips back on and load it with 38 Spl +P's, the old FBI load not the Buffalo Bore mini-357's.

Ordinarily I use a Sig P250 Compact in 45 ACP for the nightstand but think the SP may fill the bill better even though there is reduced capacity and no real way to reload. It's just with the laser I think I can put more rounds on target with the SP. Any thoughts?

#33 ·
I have a weapon mounted light on my Sig P250. They won't have a long time to aim at the light before the 230 gr's start heading in their direction. It is quite bright so that can temporarily blind the BG's plus they aren't a bad aiming device either.

#34 ·
Years ago local police uses lights dismounted from the firearms as a flash light. I want the aggressor on my turf. I know my house with long hallways. He/she does not.

I shoot enough to not care about lights or lasers. For every up side there is a down side. This option of lights and lasers is strictly a personal choice. I chose to do without the light show.

I have factory night sights on two of my household Glock's. Night sights are more to my liking. More than likely in the future I'll appear with a heavy revolver or the 870. I kinda feel a good gun is enough with out options.

#36 ·
Right, One benefit of night sights is the gun is easier to find in the dark.:) I like some passive way of aiming the gun in a very low light situation. A real benefit is that the local cop shop will sell and install factory Glock factory night sights for $60.00 to walk-in customers. I'm not interested in finding out about all that either. I've lived in this house most of my life and have a tactical advantage here.

First choice is the shotgun. I not going to play John Wick in that deadly situation. Handgun would be second choice. A 44 Skeeter or 45ACP type handgun would do. Home invader has. by his actions, shown a willingness to do bodily harm. Any choice would be forced upon me.

#37 · (Edited)
I've wondered how John Wick carried all those magazines with a suit jacket.
Dropping them all over the place would get expensive too. Maybe he went back later and picked them up. :rolleyes:

#40 ·
I'm a bad guy with a shotgun. OK good guy in the dark turns on his light. Me, the bad guy has a target. I know my territory in my house. I want to keep the bad guy looking. The dark does not necessarily put me at risk. At the very minimum it will be night sights. I also have an unmounted Streamlight.

I am no where as steady as a few years ago. Maybe, it would be better to see if there a shooting stick made for indoor use.:cautious:

#41 ·
You do not have to turn your flashlight on, but do you really want to clear rooms without one? I cannot see the pitch black recesses of my home. If someone is crouching down in a corner wearing dark clothing, I won't see him without a light. We have practiced and practiced and there is just no way to see certain areas without a light. I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep if the house wasn't completely and thoroughly cleared after hearing an unusual sound in the night.

#42 ·
You do not have to turn your flashlight on, but do you really want to clear rooms without one?
If I were a armed bad guy when that light went on it would be put out. If the bad guy, is in your house armed and waiting stealing something may not be the plan. Looks like if you are stalking the guy in dark places that flashlight may get turned on. How would that play out?

Maybe good guy needs to go on the defensive after calling 911. If good guy is going through the house with a firearm and flashlight maybe that's justification to call the cops. When good guy engages bad guys it's as an armature; When Po-Po engages it is as a professional. .Remember, if Po-Po gets behind help is on the way. Where's the good guys "help"

#46 · (Edited)
Have a safe place to go within the house. Be defensive. Call 911. Also, have escape routes in case of the need to leave the house fast as in a fire.

Added: To me the idea is survive. This clearing the house sounds like too much John Wick or Rambo. Bad guys move about in packs. The model here in this thread is of a bad guy. What if it turns out to be three bad guys? Put some 911 on them. Level the playing field.

#47 · (Edited)
I leave my kitchen light on at night, it's at opposite end of house from bedroom. Lights part of living room. Bedroom has LED nightlight behind the nightstand. Other nightlights in bathroom and other bedroom. So the whole house is dimly lit. Bad guy would have to guess which of the hall doors is me.
My backdoor is in the well lit kitchen and leads straight into my dog pen which has a utility pole mounted security light. Bad guy has to scale six foot fence to get to back door, or cut a heavy padlock. Front door is covered by a motion detector flood light. I have a furry alarm system. Signs outside for high end security company, but no actual system.
My basic plan is to have bed between me and door, and let bad guy come to me.

#48 ·
My basic plan is to have bed between me and door, and let bad guy come to me.
What if there are three bad guys who have cut the power to your house? One of the guys has bolt cutters and another a tarp to throw over the fence. There's no jumping the fence. These guys help each other. Each attacker has a heavy duty crowbar. These guys have pulled the wires out of the landline. These night home invasions have severe legal consequences plus danger from the home owner. These guys know the risk and have planned ahead. How about that scenario?

#49 · (Edited)
What if there are ten bad guys with body armor? You must be out in the country and expecting a full-scale assault! I'm in an urban subdivision, and not in the rich side of town.
Well, the security light is on a utility pole, 20 feet up, with its own power. That light comes through all the rear windows. A street light out front gives some decent light on those windows. No landline phone, cell phone that I charge at 60%. Dog would be wild before they cleared the fence, and I can have a refrigerator between me and the back door.
You can't really prepare for every scenario. If I did, I'd have to put a generator in the basement (not real safe), landmines in my yard, and machine guns on the roof.
Typical bad guy in my area needs help with velcro shoes, I'm not worried it would get too serious.

#50 ·
Don't underestimate people. How would those street lights hold up to a pellet gun? I know a higher class purps who operate like that, These days the money is in catalytic converters. A battery powered sabre saw and you are in business. Right, you would be an unlikely victim. Unlikely means less of a chance. We are also talking about a gang-more than one person.

#51 ·
MY plan is to hold the high ground and if they want at us then come up the stairs as I'll be prone at the top mostly behind concealment. The front door is visible from the top of the stairs so kicking it in isn't a good idea. I keep my cell phone in the bedroom so we have communications to the police as well.

#53 ·
I just want to get me and loved ones to a safe place and enough ammo to defend if need be! I may carry my Shield Plus but our house guns are two M&P9s @ 18 round each! We've been taught to clear rooms in class but as far as that goes, just to make sure everyone is safe.

#56 ·
I thought about a 410 or 20 gauge Mossberg Shockwave, but decided that would still be a little too rough on my plaster. o_O

• Haha
Reactions: SmittyJ
#58 ·
Handguns for home protection is good for warm fuzzes. Shotguns rule. Are you old enough to remember Archie Bunker? Maybe, you remember Archie's burglar alarm/household protection? It was a tape recorder of a dog barking Get one of those and your handgun you will be ready Arf, Arf 🐶.....:)

#62 ·
When I was younger I had that dog! Only house on the block not burglerized, even the police wouldn't come in the yard. Named him Crazy Ivan, wouldn't bite anyone but sure had a nasty snarl! I should have recorded him for later years.

• Haha
Reactions: bearcatter
#59 ·
John Wayne had an alarm recording of him hollering, " I see you, you son of a bitch!". :rolleyes:

#61 · (Edited)
I wonder which gun was on Wayne's nightstand, if any. I understand he had a nice collection, and he handled practically every kind in his movies.
I've read that his big loop '92 Winchester was the favorite, in spite of his custom SAA he carried in most of his later Westerns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.