Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a neat old Hopkins & Allen No 922 at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. In pretty rough shape but I couldn't pass up the $40 price tag. I sure do like these old rifles. This one was most likely made around 1909.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...now that's the action I remember on old rifles...I was lookin' to see those Greeners do that...that's a good find....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
very nice.............
is she gonna be a shooter?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup Sheep, the old falling block action. They are getting harder and harder to find at a reasonabe price. I saw a guy walking around with this over his shoulder for a couple of hours and figured he must be asking the standard 350 and up for it. Finally went up and asked what he wanted and he said 60 bucks, to which I replied will ya take 40 for it and he agreed.

Have been working on it a little at a time since the temps in the shop don't get below 90 which is a little much in a small cramped area, but it's coming along nicely.

Just took a break and shot 5 rounds of .22 short low velocity on the backyard "range". Goes bang (well more of a pop)and shoots straight. Was aiming at of O in Pro on the box and hit a bit high.

Definetly a shooter Deputy.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
That's cool, Chance. The old guns floating around this board now is crazy. Gotta be some good stories with a few of these. If only they could talk.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right BH, lots of good stuff

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
The old guns a worth a few bucks . This was in about the same condition 40 yrs ago . Restocked and new barrel will do wonders for it .

A friend made the sight for me

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a beautiful gun TGR but something like that is probably far beyond my skill level. Don't know how far I will go on this but it has a lot of potential. On the other hand the collector value is many multiples of what I paid for it as is.

Question: I have an old Meriden that has a problem with the hammer spring. Any idea would I look for a small piece of spring steel to make a new one.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...try Numrich Arms or that company for parts listed within the info I posted about the shotgun today...Herr Mario's post....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sheepdog, don't know why I didn't think of them. This is the Model 10 .22 short made between 1890 and 1910, not one of their shotguns, although I would like to get one of them.

Would sure rather buy something than have to make one since I don't really have the proper tools for dealing with spring steel.

Meriden

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great cross reference Sheepdog, most complete I've seen. Did you know Aubrey was the General Manager of Meriden and that is why his name was used on the shotguns?

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...nope, but I had a Meriden .38 S&W breaktop nickel-plated that I sure wish I had back...a gift from a 96-year-old Greatuncle....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a 1908 Hopkins & Allen Gun Guide & Catalog reprints off ebay. Makes some interesting reading. Below is the listing for their No 922

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard the .38 S&W called a "big game" rifle cartridge either. I wonder what the holdover is at 200 yards?

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
There was a range of rimfire cartridges for derringers and small revolvers. The Remington double took the .41 rimfire and of course the Henry and Winchester 1866 took the .44 rimfire. I didn't know the .32 was used in rifles until I saw it here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts