Gunner Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current situation has me considering alternatives to keeping my house. I don't need to hurry, thanks to one of my wife's quirks. The house will be virtually free for roughly a year. The taxes and insurance are paid through the end of next year, by being paid early. Electric, water, and internet all have about a year's worth of credit on the balances. She overpaid as a regular practice. If only I had pre-paid yard work.....

Worst negative is that we have been packrats. The house is loaded with too-much-stuff. I mean way too much. If I spent every day bagging up all the junk and outright trash, it might be done in that year. I could fill an industrial dumpster. Then, you have to eliminate all the good but unneeded stuff. Then there are cosmetic issues. It needs new carpet, two rooms and a hall. New vinyl in the kitchen. At least three rooms need painting, one has bubbled paint on the ceiling, which is what told us we needed the new roof four years ago. Five grand for that, and nearly four for a new heat pump the following year.

I would have to sell for market minus the cost of needed work. At least, the buyer could choose their own colors and styles.

Years back, I remember all my moves were nice, out of furnished apartments. I could pack and move in two days with one pickup load. No mowing, no repairs, no repair bills in all those years. Renting has it positives, for sure.

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
If it were me I would make a project of fixing what you can, painting is easy even flooring now is easy with the interlocking system. The kitchen usually doesn't have a lot of heavy things on the floor to move so just a matter of learning where to start and removing the baseboards with care or you can install and leave the baseboards alone and put on a 1/4 round molding to cover the expansion joint. You will need a flooring cutter to make straight cuts on vinyl. Have confidence in yourself with many of the projects. Youtube is your friend. I will usually watch several before I start something unfamiliar looking for a consistent approach.

Have you had a roofer tell you you need a new roof. It could be just a spot that needs a patch and then refinish the ceiling.

For the clean out you can donate it, give it away, or get a 20-30 yard roll off dumpster delivered and toss it.

The heat pump can't be repaired? I would seek a pro on that and if it needs replacing you'll have to eat that.

The carpeting get a pro knee knocker as that stuff is pretty reasonable.

My thought is you will do better if the place looks great when you go to sell.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I successfully painted the kitchen a few years back, but the living room ceiling I did bad. Roller marks on the ceiling still there. Bubbled ceiling in room I use like a den needs sanding, I'm afraid to screw it up since it's plaster. Not so many good plaster guys these days The roof and heat pump were replaced when I said , 4 and 3 years back. I just didn't say that clearly, sorry. Kitchen is long and narrow, hard to move refrigerator and stove. They had to be carefully measured when bought, to fit through the 30 inch doorway and also make the turn into place. Both are 20 years old but work fine. Stove has seen light use anyway, we love microwaves. Carpet no thanks. I tried to help an in-law with some once, and we were a disaster. I have three places where the carpet butts to ceramic tile, not so easy.

If I sell, it will be as-is, probably with the appliances. City tax assesses it at twice what we paid in '98; I'm happy if I get what we paid.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
When I sold and moved to Ellensburg the realtor wanted everything perfect so we ended up upgrading appliances, refinishing hardwood floors and repainting the outside. The inside was all basically white so no complaint there, grrrr!. Still took a $100K loss. Never again!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the buyer may have redone all your choices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts