Gunner Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you reload? My usual method is as follows....

I clean the brass then usually put it into a plastic freezer type bag. From here I like to do things in stages. I have a Lee 4 die turret press, but don't use the turret feature. I de-prime my brass and toss it into a plastic container. Next step I put new primers in the brss and toss them into the next plastic container. The next step for me is to weigh each charge. Use the die to flare and drop the charge into a funnel on the press. Then seat the bullet and then crimp. I charge, seat, and crimp at the same time and transfer the finished cartridge into a plastic cartridge holder. I may do anywhere from a few to a couple hundred at a time at any station.

I bet we all have our own little way of doing things. Let's hear yours.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
guess i'm all over the place. When the turret is running, its just start to finish on one case.

When the challenger is running, its a load block set up for 20 to 50 cases at a time. Everything gets its turn in phases or stations......

Now the lee loader :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: if you have not experienced this ole' fashion method of reloading, i strongly suggest you make a gun show and buy a kit for your favorite caliber. Heck of a good investment used for around $10.00. Its an animal all its own and very time consuming as all is required is a hard surface and a hammer! But its kind of fun and suprising as the ammo that comes out of it is very accurate. Would not do it different for my .308!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
When I reloaded with the single stage press, it was pretty much one operation at the time....deprime/prime...size...charge....set bullet...crimp.

With the turret, I'm going to try to do it start to finish per round. I am going to weigh each charge, though.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I do the bach mathod basically the same as you bountyhunter execpt I clean out the primer pockets. I know alot of folks don't do that but I do, since I love reloading as much as shooting and reload to be able to shoot more it works for me.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't mention it but I clean out the pockets as I de-prime them. :D

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Loading my 44-40's now well now taking a break its gone well the cases are very thin so ya have to be careful. But so far no crashed cases, and I am glad of that knock on wood lol.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Now that I've loaded 500 rnds on the turret press, I am definately doing each cartridge from start to finish. I set up empties (once cleaned or new) in reloading trays I already had. I then set out 50 bullets, and load my primers in the safety prime system (best thing since grits...I love it...a lot better than a hand primer I used to use and was paranoid of)....my old Lee powder thrower still works like new. I'm measuring every 3rd rnd now. I can load 100 in about an hour....no bad for an old cuss..... :D

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put my turret back together and I realized that it runs backwards. I pout the dies in the wrong order for the rotation. :roll:

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Bountyhunter said:
I just put my turret back together and I realized that it runs backwards. I pout the dies in the wrong order for the rotation. :roll:
Now that's funny :mrgreen: ....I don't care who you are.....(now watch me do the same thing....wait, I already have my turret discs set up for 9mm, .38sp, and .45acp)..... :ugeek: :ugeek:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was turning them by hand and it was natural to do it in the opposite direction so that's how I set them up. I changed 2 dies around and all is good now. :ugeek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts