Gunner Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but this handheld GPS is making me feel like an idiot.

A while back I bought a Lowrance handheld GPS unit to help me navigate around the rivers and lakes I hope to explore this summer on my 1448 Tracker boat. I of course lost the manual immediately (or is it possible I thought it was appropriate to throw away the instructions to a device I had no idea how to operate?). Tonight I wanted to figure it out because I hope to go this weekend, so I downloaded the manual online. So far, so good.

Uh, this manual is 116 pages long. And it makes no sense whatsoever. I narrowed it down to about fifteen pages that look helpful, and I printed those out to review later when I'm not frustrated and pissed off. But that is for 'Easy Mode.' There are like 60 pages for 'Advanced Mode,' I'm not even TRYING to go there. I literally want to get to a lake, turn it on, see the map of the lake (I bought and installed a card that had nearby lakes), find a landmark, drive to it, drive around and fish all day, then find where I started from and have it tell me where that is.

Is it just me? Any of you hunters have one and did it make sense to you?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
im afraid my kids won't even look at a compass........
but they sure do like that gogle earth program and i must say....its purty neat!

i don' have a clue how to work a gps. i got one in the sheriff truck. i only read what it says and call in coordinates for a helicopter if needed.............

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Most electronic gizzmos have an 800 # with geek attached that can help...I ask my 15-year-old all my compooter questions, and, after a reasonable amount of disdain and condescension, he helps me...

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I had an older model and we went on a vacation to an Island that is 10 miles off the coast of Maine. I took a reading at the dock and saved it. My wifes sister, husband, daughter and he friend followed the water taxi we took out there. They spent the weekend and we had fun and it came time for them to leave (we were there for the week) and it was socked in fog like you get off the Maine coast so I gave them my GPS and showed them how to set a course for the waypoint I put in at the dock. Off they went with the assurances they would find their way back. Everything was great until duh, there was an Island beteen them and the straightline route I had given them. They head the waves crashing into the shore of the island and about crapped themselves. They finally hear a boat and went to it and followed them into the harbor. The GPS worked but the operations end (me) had issues.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a Magellan that's pretty cool. On this one isf you leave "Tracking" on it leaves a trail of everywhere you have been until you erase it. That might help. Don't forget to keep an eye on the depthfinder too! Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts