Gunner Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my neighbor today, and he mentioned that he has an old Winchester lever gun. I asked him what it was, and he wasn't sure. He had inherited it many years ago from his uncle, and it has sat in his closet for a long time.

Well, the curiosity got the better of him, and he went in the house and brought out a gun case. When he unzipped the case and pulled out a VERY old lever gun, my interest was PEAKED.

I looked at the model, and it was one I have never heard of...A Model 71 Winchester chambered in .348 Win. He brought out some ammo, and wow is that a funny looking round. He being a nice guy asked if I wanted to shoot it. I being me, said HELL, YA.

What a cool gun, nice walnut, good blueing, and a odd ball cartridge. The kick was surprising mild for a round that size too.

This is a picture of a Model 71 I got off the net...

This is a comparison of the .30-30 Win (The smaller) next to the .348 Win (The larger). It shoots a 200 grain bullet at 2535 fps.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
That is the first center fire I ever shot, one hell of a gun, and worth some cash today.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just looked it up on gunbroker. :shock:

According to the serial number his was made in 1940, and I would rate it about 90-95%. As a standard grade rifle I would ball park it at around $1750.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
They are one sweet gun. Wish I had one, but when they come up I don’t seem to have the money, and when I do have the money , will I cant find one I would like to have. Is he offering it to you?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
you experienced a rare treat there.......... :D

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is he offering it to you?
No. :cry:

That was the first thing I told him, if he ever wanted to get rid of it to let me know. He said that he got it from his Uncle Harley, and would never want to sell it.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Will don’t hold your berth but keep hoping and bugging him :lol:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
200 gr bullet at 2500+fps? That would take care of any hunting that needed to be done in North America. What a rare treat. That was really nice of your neighbor.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What a great opportunity JGB, I envy you.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just looked the Model 71 up in Fjestads and it books out at around 4 grand if it is the same as the pic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts