Gunner Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an old late 1880's homesteaders cabin, as you can see it allows me plenty of viewing thru the trees. But while sitting there, it makes me wonder, if these remaining walls could talk what stories could they tell.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Now that would be TV worth watching!!! Hey JB, can you metal detect 'round there? Betcha'd get lost in the memories if you did.....

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have to get a good metal detector, and yes I can as this is on my uncles spread, where I hunt all my whitetail deer. Every season I get at least one.... it's just being patient enough to wait for that real good one :lol:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Do y'all feed the deer? Down here, they put up an automatic feeder near their tree stand, keep it full all summer(unless the hogs reach it), then come hunting season, hide in the stand and shoot them as they approach the drive-through window....not my idea of hunting....I'd be feedin' them all over the place...puttin' out salt/calcium blocks, but I'd rather hunt on the ground away from the restaurant..seems more sporting.....

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Up here food plots are okay, as long as they are not used as a way of baiting them in. Feeders, licking blocks etc, are on the list of no no's as it is concidered baiting.

Everything here is "Fair Chase"

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
That's my choice...if by feed plot you mean like a corn patch...just let 'em at it but don't hunt out of it..that's good....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
To honestly hunt and fish is true sport. Using bait blocks and fish finders takes no talent at all - just a tad of patience. There are so many ways to cheat now and the animals don't stand a chance. That is NOT sport in my book. Primitive natives are excellent hunters and without guns, rods or reels. They also didn't take/need all kinds of gear and special equipment.

PS. I successfully made a Vogue suit for myself using my grandmother's treadle sewing machine while I had two toddlers. I wore it for Easter that year with a real feeling of accomplishment. We were broke and couldn't afford to buy a sewing machine for me. (In my mind this pertains) :lol:

PSS My grandfather went deer hunting each Thanksgiving. I don't think he ever caught anything - not sure he even went outside. All his stories were about his buddies, cards, drinking, chili and the outhouse, pranks pulled etc. I just loved to listen to him.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
was the chili that bad????....that it went hand in hand with the outhouse????

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
But betcha not early nor often...good chili's like oatmeal...sticks to your innards!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts