Gunner Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any .44mag loads for 240gn. jacketed bullet using IMR4227? I picked up a pound the other day at Sportsmans Whse. When they were out of H110 (I pick up reloading supplies now as soon as I can). IMRs data just lists max loads no starting loads. I'm just looking for a lukewarm magnum load.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Just go down 10% and work back up to where you want to be.
You didn't say what your book stated as your max load. I do recommend WLP primers and a full case of powder. IMR4227 is a slow burner and seems to work better at or near full case capacity. It is also a powder that needs to have the sweet spot worked out for your bullet, gun combination.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I always start a minimum of 10% below the listed Max load, with any combo I've ever tried. Sometimes best results require backing off even more, other times I have worked a load to a few percentage points "above" the listed Max. I haven't used 4227 for a few years now, but remember it was pretty impressive out of My 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk .44 Mag., as a max load behind a 3/4 jacketed Speer 225Gr. S.W.C.H.P. with a WW LP Primer, & WW cases. :mrgreen: :D :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. The data I've been reading is confusing to say the least. IMR data states no start load & a max of 22.0gns. compressed charge. But then some of the other data says up to 23.5 but it doesn't mention a compressed charge.

I think I'm going to go with the 22.0gn. load. The IMR data lists it at 1275fps/32,600cup. from a 8.5" barrel. That should be fine. I've never loaded a compressed charge before, does it up the pressure or whats the deal?

P.S. Since this is a slow burning powder it's my thinking that it should perform better out of a longer barrel. If so then I'll keep these rds. for my 7.5" Redhawk.

·
Administrator
11,907 Posts
Presumably the people that know have pressure tested the compressed charges and they are safe. Like any reload what's good for them may not be good for you so start low and work up. I have loaded compressed charges in rifle loads before and went slowly without problems although I do remember pulling bullets on my 222 Remington once because the load was showing pressure signs and they were compressed whereas others weren't a problem for the 222.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
IMR4227 likes compressed charges. It doesn't really effect the pressure as long as the powder is a slow burner and is tested at that level. I would still drop below that max load and work back to it to be safe. The type of bullet and where the crimp band is will affect whether the load is compressed or not at the same charge weight, as more or less of the bullet will be down in the case. You will definately know if you double charge a case with this powder.
The barrel length is only slightly an issue in relation to a slow burning powder unless you are talking 2-3 inch barrels vs 6" plus. As always, the longer the bbl, the higher the velocity. I think you might lose 30 - 50 fps per inch. The powder should be burnt in the first 3- 4" of barrel.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I checked every data source I could find & found loads up to 25.0gns. of IMR4227. So I went with the 22.0gn. load. It seems to be the most popular load. I don't think I'll have any problems with it, especially sense I'm shoot'n them in Ruger pistols.

So far I've loaded 200rds. of 19.5gns. of H110 pushing 300gn XTPs & 100 rds of 22.0 gns. of IMR4227 pushing 240gn. JHP bullets. I'm going to load 100 more of the 240gn. bullets tonight then it's on to .45Colt!

·
Registered
892 Posts
My .44 Mag. hunting loads are , a Hornady 200 Gr. XTP jacketed hollow point, sitting on top of 28 Gr. of WW296 & a WWLP primer, in WW cases. I've been loading that for myself & several others for quite a few years now. Very accurate, & they definitely get Your attention. :shock: For My lighter loads I use Blue Dot.
But, while We are asking questions, does anyone know anything about "Universal Clays" ? I was given a large box of reloading stuff. Most of it is new canisters of powder, (14 Lbs. of different ones) & three pounds of it is Universal Clays. I know it is a shotshell powder, but so are Blue Dot & Red Dot, & many others, that are great pistol powders.
So, has any one used it before, for handgun loads ?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
41 Magnum said:
My .44 Mag. hunting loads are , a Hornady 200 Gr. XTP jacketed hollow point, sitting on top of 28 Gr. of WW296 & a WWLP primer, in WW cases. I've been loading that for myself & several others for quite a few years now. Very accurate, & they definitely get Your attention. :shock: For My lighter loads I use Blue Dot.
But, while We are asking questions, does anyone know anything about "Universal Clays" ? I was given a large box of reloading stuff. Most of it is new canisters of powder, (14 Lbs. of different ones) & three pounds of it is Universal Clays. I know it is a shotshell powder, but so are Blue Dot & Red Dot, & many others, that are great pistol powders.
So, has any one used it before, for handgun loads ?
I've loaded UC in .45colt & acp, it works. The only thing I've noticed is, there seems to be a lot of unburned granules left in the cases of the .45colt loads. I don't remember the exact load I was shooting that day. I do know it was a 250gn. cast bullet load. I don't recall the brand of primer I was using but it had to have been either REM or WIN LP. I haven't really thought about it much but this makes me wonder if a magnum primer might give a better burn?

·
Administrator
11,907 Posts
I would try a little stronger crimp before I went to a mag primer. If you had a good firm crimp and you aren't at or near max then you can step up to a mag primer just watch them for pressure as they will sometimes spike with a hot primer. If you are using a Ruger then they will take it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'll probably figure out where to use it then. It's just one I'm not familiar with, & it is not in any of My reloading manuals. But Hey, I have it & I'll have to figure out where to burn it !! :D

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
data.hodgdon.com Believe it or not the make their powder IMR and Winchester powders. Anyhow they have all the loads for that powder. Hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.