Gunner Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any .44mag loads for 240gn. jacketed bullet using IMR4227? I picked up a pound the other day at Sportsmans Whse. When they were out of H110 (I pick up reloading supplies now as soon as I can). IMRs data just lists max loads no starting loads. I'm just looking for a lukewarm magnum load.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. The data I've been reading is confusing to say the least. IMR data states no start load & a max of 22.0gns. compressed charge. But then some of the other data says up to 23.5 but it doesn't mention a compressed charge.

I think I'm going to go with the 22.0gn. load. The IMR data lists it at 1275fps/32,600cup. from a 8.5" barrel. That should be fine. I've never loaded a compressed charge before, does it up the pressure or whats the deal?

P.S. Since this is a slow burning powder it's my thinking that it should perform better out of a longer barrel. If so then I'll keep these rds. for my 7.5" Redhawk.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I checked every data source I could find & found loads up to 25.0gns. of IMR4227. So I went with the 22.0gn. load. It seems to be the most popular load. I don't think I'll have any problems with it, especially sense I'm shoot'n them in Ruger pistols.

So far I've loaded 200rds. of 19.5gns. of H110 pushing 300gn XTPs & 100 rds of 22.0 gns. of IMR4227 pushing 240gn. JHP bullets. I'm going to load 100 more of the 240gn. bullets tonight then it's on to .45Colt!

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
41 Magnum said:
My .44 Mag. hunting loads are , a Hornady 200 Gr. XTP jacketed hollow point, sitting on top of 28 Gr. of WW296 & a WWLP primer, in WW cases. I've been loading that for myself & several others for quite a few years now. Very accurate, & they definitely get Your attention. :shock: For My lighter loads I use Blue Dot.
But, while We are asking questions, does anyone know anything about "Universal Clays" ? I was given a large box of reloading stuff. Most of it is new canisters of powder, (14 Lbs. of different ones) & three pounds of it is Universal Clays. I know it is a shotshell powder, but so are Blue Dot & Red Dot, & many others, that are great pistol powders.
So, has any one used it before, for handgun loads ?
I've loaded UC in .45colt & acp, it works. The only thing I've noticed is, there seems to be a lot of unburned granules left in the cases of the .45colt loads. I don't remember the exact load I was shooting that day. I do know it was a 250gn. cast bullet load. I don't recall the brand of primer I was using but it had to have been either REM or WIN LP. I haven't really thought about it much but this makes me wonder if a magnum primer might give a better burn?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.