Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out poking around...just read 5 chilling accounts of S&W new weapons locking up during firing, due to the internal lock failing....you can find and read them, I won't post a link or source...suffice it to say it has happened to several....

The way those who "fixed" them did it was to take the key and lock and unlock the lock...this temporarily returned their ability to fire them... I have my own opinions about the locks, but my point in posting is this...some of them had to go home to get their key...with a loaded, cocked gun to transport...if you have to have a lock in your gun, have the key with you....you may need it!!!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Michael Bane (of Shooting Gallery fame) has had this happen to him. No way will I buy a Smith with a lock. It seems to happen more in the harder kicking calibers.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
My new retro M1917 has the lock on it but I have never locked it & never plan to. I know there's a way to deactivate them. Is there anything on the web on how to do it.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes...how to remove it altogether....till then, keep the key with you...I sure wish they'd quit thinking they know what's good for us...they're gonna get someone killed...

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Isn't the problem that they lock themselves while being shot? It's not that you lock it and then can't unlock it right?

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...correct...picture that in a life-or-death situation.....I'll never own one with a lock in it....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
That would be scary. They must have lost a lot of their CCW business I would think. That's why the locks are gone now.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want three of their new Nightguards...but not with locks...ain't no way....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
don't ya hate it when they try to ram PC crap down our throats????????
And the prices on pre-lock smiths are about as high as the price of new ones.........and the used ones are in demand..............

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...I'll pay new gun prices for old-gun quality...the cheap gun days are over....

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
sheepdog said:
Yes...how to remove it altogether....till then, keep the key with you...I sure wish they'd quit thinking they know what's good for us...they're gonna get someone killed...
Shit, now I got to remember where I put the key! :?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Did some surf'n & found this! Looks pretty simple, I think I'll try it. The only other solution I found was to remove the lock but that leaves the hole.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
the down side there probably is if the gun is ever sent into smith for repair, they probably will not ervice it as the gun was permenantly alatered with a "dangerous modifications to safety" done......... :evil:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...if it's the little flag piece that hangs up...would grinding the lug keep that from happening????

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
sheepdog said:
...if it's the little flag piece that hangs up...would grinding the lug keep that from happening????
I think so, it looks to me like the lug is on the flag piece & engages a notch in the hammer that locks the action. With out the lug it can flip up all it wants & still won't lock.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...that'd be better'n a hole....for sure....

·
Registered
739 Posts
I understand that S&W had these problems from Day 1 when they started installing locks. I never liked workin on S&W guns (especially their semiautos). After spendin a little time workin on one of those, I'd have to take one of my Rugers apart & put it back together just for R&R!

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...only Smith auto I ever liked was the 645----that one is awesome...had M39 and M59-crappy feeling actions...my Rugers have been a joy...had a KP97DAO, a KP97DC, now I have a KP90DC, a KP97DC, and a KP95DC(which is on the disabled list...feed irregularities)....I just like Rugers better...and someday, maybe a Sig....

·
Registered
739 Posts
I did have to polish and smoot out the edges on the feed ramp of my KPR95DC15 or what ever the hells it's called LOL. It helped a bunch.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...thanks, Deadeye...I'll try that before I take it to the Dr...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts