Gunner Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across an article about a Hollywood fast draw contest at Knott's Berry Farm in 1954. Jerry Lewis came in second, behind Sammy Davis Jr. and ahead of Glenn Ford.
Participants included Audie Murphy, Hugh O'Brian, Wally "Mr. Peepers" Cox, Hugh Downs (Today show host), dancer Donald O'Connor, singers Marty Robbins and Frankie Lane, Clu Gulager, Ernest Borgnine, Jock Mahoney and Clint Eastwood.
Lewis's 72 gun collection varied from a RG derringer to an engraved Rigby SXS 12 gauge. He had several snubs, semi-auto pistols, Colt SAAs, pump shotguns, and Weatherby rifles.

Can you picture Lewis with this Mossberg 500?
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I remember reading about those competitions when I was a kid. I remember one TV actor bragging about how great he was (don't remember which one) and Roy Rogers challenged him to a shooting contest with his guns of choice, but too my knowledge the challenge was never accepted. I am thinking it was Hugh O'Brian but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If remember what I read right, Hugh O'Brian was bragging, and Audie Murphy did the challenging. Murphy insisted on live ammo, and O'Brian declined.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts