Gunner Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate unsolicited junk e-mail. Why would I want to consolidate debt with a company I've never even freakin' heard of? Why would I want to give someone $5000 so he could give me $5,000,000 from his acct in Asia, for safekeeping. Why do I want a cure for baldness when I'm not even bald?.....If I had my way, the people sending this crap out would be beheaded, dis-embowled, drawn and quartered, and if that didn't work, then I'd hurt em......spammers are right there in the toilet with lawyers, cyber-terrorists, and the old lady at McDonalds that has a nasty-assed attitude.....

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I used to get 40-50 a day...now it's down to 3 or 4 a week...don't know what made the difference...can be really irritiatin'!!!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have several programs in place that get most of it, but that 1 every week or so just burns my butt.....

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
My spam filters catch the vast majority but not all of them. I have sent some nasty replies in the past though which undoubtedly burned their ears -- if they bothered reading them. :D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I do a lot of business on line, and its amazing how every web site I do business with swears they do not share my e-mail address yet I get tons of spam crap thats sent directly to my address. I now have three e-mail addresses, one just for putting down when I register on some site that I don't want to hear from after I'm done with them. I don't check it but about once a month just so it stays open, then I just delete everything. It gets atleast 200 emails per day.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I finally got sick of the major ISPs crap and ever changing rules and 6 years ago went to my own mail server, web server and ftp server. A few years ago I started getting massive amounts of spam so I got a a firewall program that allowed me to block IP addresses. That worked for a while and then it got overwhelmed. And I got pissed. The next step was to put in place a script that allowed me to block both individual addresses and entire address blocks.

Doing the research (following spammers addresses back to their source) I discovered 90% of the spam was coming Asia/Pacific, Eastern Europe and comcast.com in Trenton N.J. After spending 6 months tracking addresses of spam I now have a blacklist of 773 million plus email addresses world wide that are blocked from sending mail to or thru my mail server along with another 100 million or so that cannot access my web site or ftp server. Now the major sources of spam coming to my computer are from google (gmail) and microsofts various mail messes.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Can anyone explain to Me, how We get "Junk Mail" in our box, that isn't even addressed to Us ? It's always addressed to "someone" @verizon.net, but not Us. I've looked at "Properties" & all over the messages, & Our address isn't even there, but We end up getting them in Our e-mail.

& why do You get the exact same message from twenty different addresses at the same time ? day after day after day !!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Jim

Normally spam comes through non-secured mail servers by a means called relaying. Your em addy gets on a spammers list, which may contain 10 or 20 thousand other addresses, and the spammer sends the e-mail out to all. The methods can be as simple as using the BCC (bland copy) function of any e-mail program to using list servers that can send the same message to 100s of thousands of addresses with a single key stroke. Once these e-mails go thru the non-secure mail server that ends up sending it to you it looks like it is coming from that address, which could be a friend of your even. If your name and/or e-m addresses shows up on the spam is strictly dependant on how the spammers server is set and what junk mail program they are using. Just wait until you get one that shows your name in the FROM line.

How do you get on these list?; The easiest way is to open cyber "cards from a friend", reply to the link to stop getting "this mail". Basically any link you click on in any email from soneone you don't know is going to get you on a list AND confirm that your e-mail address is valid.

Sign a guestbook and leave you address and you are guareenteed to start getting spam. There programs called e-m harvesters that constantly search the web for any e-mail address and add it to their lists.

Viri that infects address books are also great for the spammer that gives them an open pipline thru the owners isp. The list just goes on and on and will only get worse as folks just blindly click on links and open up their computers to anyone who "asks"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts