Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the LCP suffers the same problem as the SR9. at least when you send it in you get all the upgrades and the new mag with finger extensions. Just wish, they didn't need the recall. My pockets going to be lonely.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCPRecall/index.html

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Cwap is cwap...two new wonderguns...two recalls...meanwhile the P90, P89, P95, P97, you know the old outdated ones....keep chuggin' along...they can forget me spending on a new Ruger (until they make a stainless .44 Special, that is)...Ruger should stick with their proven models and sell the hell out of them...they'd have less egg on their face and more money in their pockets...

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Ruger is two for two. Two new semi-auto handguns, both recalled. It does not look good. Of course, their first centerfire semi-auto, the P-85, was recalled many years ago, and they finally got it right as it morphed into the P-89, etc.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Not the first time a man has a dream, gives his whole life to build a wonderful thing, then has his son piss it all away....the sons don't have their heart and soul in it...they didn't build it...they don't have a clue what made it strong, and ususally don't have the character to maintain it...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The manual states that there is a possibility of the lcp firing if dropped. They're just making it idiot proof. I for one don't plan on dropping mine, but the new slide lock and a free 32 dollar mag interest me.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
the problem is not so much as in ----say----me dropping my gun...............

the problem is the unknown person standing next to me at th range that might drop his gun and just where that front sight is pointed when it hits the ground..........

i unfortunately have seen several guns "dropped" over the years------and these where from "trained" leo's.........

a smith 19 accidently knocked off a table at the range
one 1911 sliding off the trunk of a car to the ground
one sig 226 forgotton and left on a car roof and lost on the highway
a python coming out of a jordan holster and hitting the convience store floor while fighting a drunk
a smith 36 flying out of an ankle holster during another fight

i was not the guilty party, but i was in the neighborhod should a round had touched off........

as far as ruger themselves----when the p85 was first introduced it actually started getting accepted by a few departments-----ya know--American made, affordable, and ruger tough and reliable----------------it got recalled which amounted to the kiss of death. From then on in most leo circles, ruger centerfire autos where considered 2nd rate and unsafe. And it took ruger a lot of years to overcome this view...........the p90 got accepted and is rugers best leo semi auto handgun to date(in my opinion) with the 89's bringing up the rear and the 95's getting some acceptance as a reliable plastic gun.

ruger then decided to go the striker route---can't blame them once you stand back and look at the success of the glock and springfield xd series.........and just like the p85-----ruger stumbled and fell right out of the gate. Already the same old p85 talk in leo circles is re-surfacing calling ruger 2nd rate----and two more officers i know who were considering the sr9 instead went with the xd----can't blame them one bit............money is tight and the weapon is wantd and needed now---not 4 to 6 weeks waiting for factory service.

now the lcp has stumbled and fallen and another recall has been issued in this faultering economy. its a good and great thing that ruger stands behind their products. its a dang bad thng if ya start questioning the gun you have selected to save your hide and find out the gun is dangerous.........................i think kel-tec is going to get a 2nd look again by a lot of officers...

i had considered the 345 until i found out about its quirks
i had cheered for the sr9 until i saw peen issues, mag issues, and finally the recall
i was doing loops when the lcp came out for a deep bug----until now.......

i think i'll stick with old and out of date instead of new and improved when it comes to ruger.....

heck, they are cheaper anyways since they are "obselete"...........

i consider the ruger
p90
p89
gp100
sp101

to still be the premier top of the line leo handguns that ruger has ever produced....and they can get the job done today jsut as well as when they were introduced........

and i'm sure there are a few more "old" and "obselete" rugers out there ya'll could put on the list as well............

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I put my name on the damned list. :x

That really pisses me off. I still have to say though, I wonder if this is really a safety issue, or it's something they're lawyers are just doing to cover their asses in cases the "ultimate idiot" get's a hold of the gun and does something very stupid.

Either way, I'll send it in and take the free mag. And, I'm not planning on getting rid of my out of date P89 any time soon. I have a couple thousand rounds through that gun, and with factory mags have NEVER had any FTFs at all.

I can tell you this, the only semi I would look at from Ruger right now would be a P90.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it looks to me, and keep in mind i'm not a machinist or gunsmith, but in order for the hammer to strike the firing pin with enough force. The gun will have to be droped on a screwdriver directly on the back of the hammer with enough force. I think it's a lawyer deal more than a safty issue.

and will also allow the older LCP's to be updated with the new stuff, mainly the slide lock (i hope). The way i read the old ones will be completely updated.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I think I'm going to get rid of mine when I get it back. I like revolvers.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I'm going to go and pull my semi autos apart. That'll teach 'em!

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Jen, hide the boy's screwdrivers, quick!!!! He's got post-tattoo stress syndrome bad!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i got my box to return LCP #1, LCP #2 will go when i get LCP#1 back.......

so far i have been reading that the turn around time has been very fast, some people are claiming a 4 day turn around. Hopefully i can get it in the mail tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
please keep us advised..........especially on the turn around....
also courious as to just what all they will replace...............

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I'm still waiting for the box. When I signed up it said 2 weeks max. 4 days would be great. :D

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did you sign up online? if so they have had a glitch with the online sign up service. I had to call them to straighten out the problem.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Always something. :roll:

Did you call Arizona or NH?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i called 1-800-784-3701. I explained that i signed up online on 10/29, and gave them my serial number. They were very apologetic and eager to help. The box arrived 2 days later.

From what i have been reading on the elsepea forum, they have been getting 4 day turn arounds. That's damn fast.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts