Gunner Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. I have a Marlin 336SS and a Marlin 1895SS in .44 Mag. I had the Marlin 336 .3030 first. It worked fine and one day it started to double feed and lock up. I sent it back and now it’s fine 25+ year’s later. The Marlin 1895 .44 has always functioned properly, is absolutely accurate and has provided many a meal. The Marlin 1895 will feed, load and devour a mix of .44 Mag and .44 spec. loaded together. I just bought a Henry .44 side gate NIB on Gunbroker. Color case hardened beautiful wood, beautiful gun. As I was checking it out it double fed. Didn’t matter what type of ammo or wether it was .44 mag or .44 spec. I never got to shoot it yet. It’s been sent back to Henry and I’m sure it will be fixed. Here’s the point, my Marlins are absolutely reliable, accurate and smooth whether you lever them slow or fast. We’ll see about the Henry when it returns.

·
Administrator
11,062 Posts
Interesting. I have owned 3 levers in my life: one was a Sears 30/30 model 94 clone, the second a 336 in 35 Rem and the last a Savage Model 99 in 250/3000 and I never had a feed or ejection issue with any of them. The only one I wish I still had was the little Sears 30/30. Glad they got it done and it has given a couple decades of faithful service.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
The first time I shot my 1895 45/70 was at the range with Garrett Hardcast ammo and the action locked after the first shot. The range master came over and said all was ok, it's a Marlin, and put it between his feet and grabbed the lever with both hands and yanked, round ejected, new round loaded and never had another problem. Guess that first shot got everything lined up.

Reactions: gunjunkie

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So my two cents:
I was looking on gun broker for a falling block lever rifle.
A falling block was featured, but on the high side for the bucks.
First off I want to say that when it comes to falling block rifles I prefer them as there is no pressure on the bolt once the levers have seated.
I was just about to place a bid when it dawned on me to go and take a look at the lever rifle I had in the safe.
It had been years since I fondled the safe rifle.
So I open the safe and there it was.
Standing beside my Ruger #1 falling block 357.
I picked it up and low and behold it was the Rossi 92 in falling block in 357.
I guess I am going to have to take it to the range and exercise it.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I just ordered one of those Rossi 92s in .357 Monday from Kentucky Gun Co. Got the stainless 20" one to use as a truck gun. I liked the 16" one, but it only held 8+1.
Thought about the Henry, but they are a few hundred more and quite a bit heavier. Plus I like that the Rossi is a Winchester 92 clone.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I hunt mostly with my Marlin 336 in 35Rem. I bought it new in 1986. I love it.
I also have a Marlin Golden 39A 22LR. Love it too.
Glad to see you bought the Henry with the side gate. That is the only way to go with a lever gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea RidgeRunner, I have a Marlin 39a golden .22 also. It’s heavy and incredibly accurate. It’s the old style without the cross bolt safety. Have to be careful with that one and remember to put it at half cock when fully loaded. I like that it shoots shorts, long and LR no matter how you mix em. I think it holds 22 rounds of .22 short ammo.

·
Administrator
11,062 Posts
I sold my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem probably 25 years ago and bought my Winchester 1300 slug gun with a rifled BBL and I put a scope on it. It's shotgun or muzzleloader deer hunting in my area. Selling the 336 was probably a mistake but I was happy at the time.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
@ gunjunkie:
You were wise to buy the Rossi.
It is a falling block action which is the best money can buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hunt mostly with my Marlin 336 in 35Rem. I bought it new in 1986. I love it.
I also have a Marlin Golden 39A 22LR. Love it too.
Glad to see you bought the Henry with the side gate. That is the only way to go with a lever gun.
He

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
I am new to this forum. I have a Marlin 336SS and a Marlin 1895SS in .44 Mag. I had the Marlin 336 .3030 first. It worked fine and one day it started to double feed and lock up. I sent it back and now it’s fine 25+ year’s later. The Marlin 1895 .44 has always functioned properly, is absolutely accurate and has provided many a meal. The Marlin 1895 will feed, load and devour a mix of .44 Mag and .44 spec. loaded together. I just bought a Henry .44 side gate NIB on Gunbroker. Color case hardened beautiful wood, beautiful gun. As I was checking it out it double fed. Didn’t matter what type of ammo or wether it was .44 mag or .44 spec. I never got to shoot it yet. It’s been sent back to Henry and I’m sure it will be fixed. Here’s the point, my Marlins are absolutely reliable, accurate and smooth whether you lever them slow or fast. We’ll see about the Henry when it returns.
Very cool. I'm new to the site. Not sure about the rules yet, but if it allows, I'd love to see pictures. I need to know before I post mine because some places don't allow them. Very nice reading your post

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Very cool. I'm new to the site. Not sure about the rules yet, but if it allows, I'd love to see pictures. I need to know before I post mine because some places don't allow them. Very nice reading your post
We like pictures, especially Lever Actions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got my Henry .44 Side Gate back about a week after I sent it back because of feeding problems. I took it to my range and shot 50 rounds of .44 spec 240grain Rainer plated HP over 4.6 grains of H titegroup loads that I made up. It worked fine without a hiccup. I will try to send some pictures after I recover from my brain surgery tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Well I got my Henry .44 Side Gate back about a week after I sent it back because of feeding problems. I took it to my range and shot 50 rounds of .44 spec 240grain Rainer plated HP over 4.6 grains of H titegroup loads that I made up. It worked fine without a hiccup. I will try to send some pictures after I recover from my brain surgery tomorrow.
Thanks and a prayer for you

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
With all this talk about lever guns just gad to get my Marlin Guide Gun out and give it a little lovin. I'm thinking it needs some Skinner Guide sights since when and if I hunt, it's Western or the Eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains.

Reactions: gunjunkie
1 - 16 of 16 Posts