Gunner Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times do you guys usually reload your brass? How do you know it's time to stop? Do you count? Is there a way to tell that it's not good to reload it again? I realize that if the case cracks it's no good, but is there any other signs?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I reload my handgun rounds until they begin to show signs they need to be tossed. Usually this will be in the form of splitting at the neck. I have got as high as 15-18 reloads out of my handgun brass. No way would I reload rifle brass that often. Rifle brass, of course, is under much more pressure, and head separation is a issue you must always keep in mind. It depends a lot on how tight your chamber is and a lot of other factors. I neck size only my 30/06 and .308 brass, so I can get more reloads out of those, and better accuracy to boot. My .223 and 30/30 brass is fired out of autoloaders, and lever action, respectively, and must be full length resized. I, personally, will toss my rifle brass the second time they need trimming. I figure if the brass has flowed so much that they need to be trimmed the second time, that is a lot of brass that has left the head area, and has weakened it accordingly.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty much what I figured. They should crack when I flare the ends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts