Gunner Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old rifle inherited from my dad
it appears to be an authentic model 1893 marlin

Its been a long time since I have used guns been living in the big city and all the gun rages got shut down.

for the experts can you confirm its the real deal can you judge the condition for what could be a 100 year old gun?

I have more pictures that I will post

·
Super Moderator
10,885 Posts
If it could only talk, what stories it would tell.

Do you know the caliber?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It looks to be in good shape to be at least 80. It's complete, and the screw slots look un-buggered. So many older rifles have missing sights and gnarled screws.

I found a lot of mentions through Google. The 1893 was made from 1893 to 1936, when they changed the name to Model 36, The later 336 came out in 1949, with the main difference of a round bolt instead of square. The 1893 was made in a half dozen calibers.

The Marlin Owners forum could likely give you a firm date of manufacture and more info.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got my Dad's old 30-30.According to the serial number it was made between 1904-06. He bought it from a gov't trapper in 1940. 26" full octagon barrel. The stock is much more scalloped. It almost looks like a crescent moon. It's got a vernier peep sight on it. The butt stock is cracked and has been since before Dad bought it. The guy he got it from told him his horse went over on it out in Montana sometime in the 20's while hunting down a cougar that had been feasting on some rancher's calves. Dad never fixed it. I think he kind of liked the history of it. It's still fairly accurate but doesn't throw as tight a pattern as my Model 30. But the 30 is 80 years younger and has probably had a few thousand fewer rounds put through it.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Now that's a gun with a story! Welcome to the former SGT! From colorado!

·
Super Moderator
10,885 Posts
Sgtduece:

How about some pics of that old classic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts