Gunner Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Had the heating element short out a couple years ago down here and after looking at the minerals that formed on it making it short I bought a spare once I changed out the bad one. Decided to get a socket that fits the heating element as well. I also started flushing the tank each month we are down here and when we leave we turn the power to the tank off and I flush again before we turn it back on in the fall.

Did you try the stainless steel heating element?

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
Off the top of my head not sure but strong guess they are not as it was $6 for a new one. I got them at Ace Hardware and had one choice. Good point though so will get on the web tomorrow and do some looking around. Thanks for the tip. The heater is small (16 Gallons????) and runs on 110.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Off the top of my head not sure but strong guess they are not as it was $ 6 for a new one. I got them at Ace Hardware and had one choice. Good point though so will get on the web tomorrow and do some looking around. Thanks for the tip. The heater is small (16 Gallons????) and runs on 110.

There a fair bit more and I usually get 8yrs or so out of the none stainless, was just curious if the stainless was worth the extra $.

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
I got 2 years out of the last one (elements completely covered) which is why I do the monthly flush of the tank. Every time I get a fair amount of white (calcium?) particulate. There are two temp settings and I keep it on high as we use a lot of hot water so suspect that exacerbates my problem.

Question. I replaced the element with one of that was the same length as the one that came out but noticed there are others that have a longer element but everything else was the same. It looks the the longer one would fit. Bad idea or would it have a quicker recovery?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts