Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working in my shop this afternoon about 2:45 Mattie comes gimp'n up to the door holding up her left front paw. I just figured she had a sticker or cactus thorn as usual but when I checked her paw there was no thorn. Only thing I saw was one tiny spot of blood about the size of the head of a pin on the top of her paw. So at first I thought she must have just poked it on something. But then I became concerned because she wouldn't put any weight on it, so I kept an eye on her & sure nuff within about 15min. her paw was swelling up & oozing pus. So I scooped her up & off we went to the animal hospital in Seguin. They cofirmed it was a snakebite & gave her some steroids & watched her for couple of hrs. They wanted to keep her overnight but when I called to check on her about 4:45 I asked how late I could call to check on her they said "Oh, we leave at 5:30 but we'll check on her first thing in the morning about 7:30". I said "The Hell You Say, I'll come get her". I'll be damned if I'll pay $40.00 for her to sit in a cage all night with nobody there to watch her! So shes back home now & doing much better now. I was glad to see her using the leg & putting some weight on it, so I think she'll be fine.

I figure it was a Copperhead (killed 2 so far this year), the vet agreed saying if it was a rattler she would have been a lot worse off & they would have to give her anti-venom at $500.00 a shot. So we dodged a big bullet there.

I'm going in to lay down on the couch with her & watch a movie so I can keep an eye on her tonight. I've only had her since Dec. but already don't know what I'd do without her.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I'm glad your dogs going to be fine. It's funny how them mutts can grow on us in such a short amount of time. They are truly members of the family.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I think it's potato that you can put on a wound raw and it will draw poison/pus out...she'd rather convalesce at home with you, anyways....I'll pray for her healing...God knows our dogs give us lots of comfort and joy...why else would He have given them to us????

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I forgot my two favorite quotes on the subject of dogs. Both by Mr. Mark Twain.

Out side of a dog, a book is a mans best freind. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

And...

Never assume that because your dog loves you, that you are a good person.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Glad she's ok, Deadeye. I don't know what I'd do if I lost mine. :(

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mattie says thanks for all the well wishes! ;) Shes doing fine vet said to be sure she eats & drinks water & she is so I'm sure she'll be back to digg'n up gopher holes in no time. I'm gonna stay on the couch with her & watch another movie. Talk to ya'll tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
good to hear she is gonna make it......
lost a rat terrier to a rattlesnake some years back and we had a border collie that got bit in the face by one. poor thing looked like a volley ball but pulled thru.......
Dang snakes use to love being under the swamp cooler in the summer to get cool or be on the porch at night to get warm..............

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm glad She's gonna be OK. I lost My Cocker Spaniel, about nine Years ago. Boy, just sittin here thinking, it doesn't seem that long ago. He was only 11 years old, & My constant companion everywhere I went & My best friend. Doc. says that it may likely have caused My first heart attack. Take good care of Her !

God Bless ;
Jim

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I gotta go sneak in my boy's room and hear that "thump, thump, thump" of my dog's tail...he sleeps with his head on his own pillow at the foot of the bed, and I know no night monster's got a chance at botherin' my son!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Great image, Sheepdog...

Deadeye, Mattie is so lucky to have a responsible owner who is in tune with their health. You did great, and I applaud you for not allowing the vet to close the door for the night on poor Mattie.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Give her a treat, a hug and a smooch from me.

Sounds like there's snakes all over TX. How about your children guys? . . they would be bit as easily as a pet. Snakes are sneaky. Do they ever get into the house? We've got mosquitoes in MI. I think I prefer that because *There's many more of them, *you know they're around by their buzz and pestiness, *they aren't usually lethal, *you can make a game out of killing them and *there's stuff to put down if you don't want them around.

Hope Mattie is A-OK today Deadeye. What a scare that was for you. She's so pretty plus she loves YOU.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matties back to her old self this morning, those steroids must be good stuff. You would never know she was bit, all the swelling is gone. They really flush all the poison right out, I,ve never seen a dog pee so much in my life! ;)

I got to thinking about it lastnight & wondering if she got bit while she was digg'n for gophers? We have these little "Pocket Gophers" out here. Their tunnels are everywhere all over my property. Mattie just loves finding a tunnel & will dig a hole to china try'n to catch one. I'm sure the Copperheads hunt those tunnels also, it would make sense the way she was bit (right on the end of her paw). May have to pull out my Bondarms Snake Slayer .410 Derringer & do some snake hunt'n myself.

And yes Natalie, the Meek may inherit the earth but they won't survive long in Texas! I haven't run across a Rattler yet but I know their around, as my neighbor has a collection of rattles from the ones he killed while clearing his land. I've left most of my 2 1/2 acres wild as I like it natural. So far I've killed 5-6 Copperheads & 1 Coral snake. Everything that grows here has fangs, claws, stingers or thorns. We have Wild Hogs, Coyotes, Wild Turkeys, Skunks (been wait'n on Mattie to corner Pepe Lapue & his little family that live in my front yard :? ), Racoons, Owls, just to name a few of the nicer ones. I have to keep mouse bait under the house to keep out the field mice. Not to mention thousands of Scorpions (got stung in my bed about 6mos. ago), Black widows, Tarantulas, Brown recluses, ticks, chiggers (come on Sheepdog & Deputy have I missed any?). Oh yea, Armadillos & Opossums & not too far from my place a guy found an alligator in his Stock Tank (thats what people up north call a pond).

I haven't had any snakes in the house, but my Grandparents who lived in West Texas used to get Rattlers in the house ever now & then.

So, when're ya come'n down fer a visit Natalie! :lol:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
home sweet home!!!!! :D

Yep i got called out twice last year about folks findin' rattlsnakes in their houses. Vet kind of stays busy also with horses gettin' snake bit. Lucky for us as i have never seen a copperhead in my area, guess its too dry for them.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
You Texas guys are great and you can be sure I'll be right down there - UH-HUH - RIGHT! :roll: No wonder women can be a problem.

I've heard there are rattlers now that don't shake their stuff before they strike. There is no way I'd share a bed with anything non-human cept a dog. My best friend loves it but she lives in the 'city', doesn't go outside except to walk in the morning or go shopping and she has regular visits from an exterminator. I would do the latter but couldn't stay inside all the time. I like being out with nature. You guys NEED guns. I'd have a gun and a fire thrower!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
its not that bad................
you get accustomed to being aware of your surrondings and watch where you step....
And there are a lot of old farm houses down here that ain't the tightest and you can hear the wind blow thru them at times, but thats just the way it is and folks are happy.........

I'm sure there are critters in your State that will make me scratch my head and say what the heck is that!

That's what i like about the USA and at times also makes me wonder just what is it like in other States. I have never seen a trout, or a pike fishing wise except for pictures. Same goes for cherry trees and maple trees, rock chucks, and so forth.................

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I know what you mean Deputy. When Dad and I went to South Carolina last month we brought some home-made maple syrup with us. Them boys thought they had died and went to heaven. The one feller said "Man I wish we had them sugar maples, I'd make gallons of that stuff."

But for us, the sight of pails collecting sap in the spring is normal as anything. :) When I went to Arizona for the first time, and walked around in the desert, I felt like I was walking on the moon.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just took some pics of the nicer side of Texas for Natalie. I'll have to post them later as Mom is on her way to spend the weekend. Gotta straight'n up a little or I'll get the "You need to find you a nice wife to keep this place in order" speach! :? ;)

Matties fine, slowed her down a little but thats not all bad! ;)

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
In Texas, I'd wear boots with every outfit - morning, noon and night.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Deadeye said:
"You need to find you a nice wife to keep this place in order" speach! :? ;)

I think that would be called a "MAID" not a wife. No need to get yourself hitched to a maid and in the long run they are probably a bit less harsh on the wallet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts