Gunner Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been discussing the adjustable sight version of the Ruger Bearcat over on the Ruger forum and one of the guys described it as a mini Single Six. That's actually a fair description for what the adjustable sights do for this inherently accurate little 22 single action. The adjustable sight Bearcat really does keep up with a Ruger Single Six, assuming you know how to shoot a small revolver, well.

Had the little Bearcat out, this week, along with a bunch of other guns, but as promised, will only post on one gun at a time. Have posted, previously, on this gun as to its accuracy. Happy to report, nothing has changed.

Here's a 16 yard target using CCI Mini Mags, which is my favorite round in the Bearcat. Loaded with the Mini Mags, I often take this gun out in the woods with me while walking the dogs. Not my best Bearcat target, by any means. Pretty casually just cocked the gun, sighted and shot in about the time it takes to say, cock, sight and shoot. Bull is 3".

Still a very good offhand little shooter out to 26 yards, too. Very few small revolvers can keep up with this kind of performance at such a distance. I know, because I've had other small 22 LR revolvers. Did put more effort into this group. About a 2 1/2" offhand group. The Bearcat really is an over-achiever in the small revolver world.

50 yards, offhand, with a Bearcat? That's pushing it, to be sure, but the little gun can do. Bull is 6".

This little mini Single Six, my Bearcat with adjustable sights, has now earned a place on my favorite's list. I really do regard the Bearcat as a must have in our single action collection. Bill can't shoot it, given his huge paws, so this one is more my little baby. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,286 Posts
I have seen a few Bearcats in shops. But haven't handled one yet they just look so small. I will have to check one out next time.
You certainly do know how to shoot it.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.

The Bearcat was one of Bill Ruger's favorites. The action is really not a mini Single Six; it was based on the old Remington cap and ball revolver actions. For instance, to load the gun, you have to draw the hammer to the half cock position, same as with all the old single action Colts and Old Model Rugers. The Bearcat very much has that same feel, something you do not get on a New Model Ruger SAs.

The New Bearcats are very solid little guns. Even the blued versions have steel grip frames.

The biggest issue most folks have with Bearcats is shooting such as small gun with accuracy, but, then, that's any issue with any small revolver, not just the Bearcat. The gun, itself, is actually very accurate and I've owned enough Bearcats to make such a statement. if you're looking for more of a range or hunting gun, the bigger Single Six is the way to go, but if you're willing to work with the Bearcat, you can do some amazing things and, for sure, the Bearcat is a marvelous little carry gun. Loads of fun to shoot. As I said, one of my favorites.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'll stick to my fixed sights. Once you get the sight picture for the particular distance, they do just as well. I can see the advantage of an adjustable sight model, but that two-story front sight just turns me off. No one makes a holster for it yet either, but the Triple K through Ruger Store can be stretched enough to work, according to its reviews.

I shoot my two at about 20 yards usually, and use a 12 o'clock hold, with centered two inch groups. I've got no problem with the small grip, and Large leather gloves are tight on me until they're broken in.

Wolff's hammer springs are a great investment and easy to install. The factory spring is 22 pounds, and Wolff offers 18 and 16. I got a few light hits with the 16, so use the 18. Takes about a pound off of the trigger.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Great report NCG! I hear a lot of good things about the Bearcat.

Your long range pistol shooting while standing always amazes me.

·
Registered
16,373 Posts
So how does the Shopkeeper compare with the Bearcat or Single-Six? I have a Single-Ten but want a Shopkeeper.

Nice shootin' NCG. That 50 yarder really impressed me.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
So how does the Shopkeeper compare with the Bearcat or Single-Six? I have a Single-Ten but want a Shopkeeper.
Compared to a Bearcat:
The Shopkeeper has to have a shorter ejector rod, so you have to give it a good push to clear the empties. Plus, they gave the ejector button a crescent shape to go around the base pin, to help the stroke be a little longer. That can pinch fingers. The head of the base pin is shorter, too, making it a little harder to remove. A Shopkeeper is about three ounces lighter than a regular Bearcat.

I don't think there would be much difference in shooting one, except with an inch less barrel, it would be louder.

Compared to a Single-Ten:
Fixed sights....Four less shots...Smaller grip....Shorter barrel....A pound less weight....Less fiddling with loads and unloads thanks to the nice Colt style loading notch (I love that on Bearcats)

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats for the nice comments, guys.

I also love the old style way the Bearcat loads. Has that classic single action appeal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts