Gunner Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most people know, George Washington is generally refered to as "the father of our country". Well, he wasn't the first in this country to have that title bestowed upon him...and futhermore, he wasn't really the first "President" of this country.....

Question: Who was first called the "father" is this country, and who was actually it's first "President".....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Are you grading on a curve?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
John Hanson
The U.S. was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. The document was proposed on June 11, 1776, but not agreed upon by Congress until November 15, 1777. Maryland refused to sign until Virginia and New York ceded their western lands since Maryland was afraid that these states would gain too much power in the new government from such large amounts of land. Once the signing took place in 1781, a President was needed to run the country. John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress, which included George Washington. In fact, all the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the Revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Monday Trivia ....

Very good, Chance, but, John Hanson was not refered to as the "Father of his country"....OK....maybe this was too difficult for the first one...so here goes.

The Declaration of Independence was signed on the July 4, 1776. At that moment, the non-loyalists concidered themselves to be a nation, free from English rule....in their eyes, they were a separate nation. At that time, the Continental Congress was in it's second session, the first session having been in 1775. The person that was the Chair of the Continental Congress was Peyton Randolph, of Williamsburg, Virginia. The "Chair", of the Congress was also known as the president...and since the Continental Congress was our only form of government (having cast off the cloak of British rule), then Peyton Randolph was technically our first president. In 1775, upon his return to Williamsburg from the Congress, he was given around the clock protection because he was on a hit list made by the British army....the address given, honoring his return concluded with these words:

"May heaven grant you long to live the father of your country –
and the friend to freedom and humanity!"

Now, to tie all the loose ends together, the Continental Congress was a different form or government than we presently have, as Chance pointed out, was formed in 1777. Therefore, in our 'CURRENT' form of government, the George Washington was our first President.....

I know some of you think I must have way too much time on my hands, but, I firmly believe that to conquer the future, one much know and understand the past.....

If you liked this, I'll post another tomorrow.....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Keep 'em coming - as long as my brain holds out at least.
Won't hurt to learn a little sumthin' as long as I'm here.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Wiz

You caught me just like my high school and college instructors being lazy and not paying close attention to the questions. And a very good question it were, I might add.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first time I read about "who was the first President", I didn't believe it, so, I read everything I could on the subject....If I remember correctly, there were about 10 or more "Presidents", (concidering the Continental Congress), prior to Washington...including, Thomas Jefferson.....but, the key is that it was during a time prior to the form of government we currently have under the Articles of Confederation.....

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
What's that saying "Those who don't learn from their past mistakes are doomed to repeat them"? History is important...accurate history, not the PC, re-written crap they feed our kids.....thanks, Wiz!!!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Technically Kentucky was a Union state, but kinda like Tennessee, most of the people really sided with the South.....it was kinda like being occupied...and Tennessee was definately occupied....but, that's another trivia, for another day..... :D

BTW: glad you all liked it. Maybe another categoryfor the Forum....."History Trivia"....or, "100 Ways to NOT screw up a Nation"..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Well I just learned something. I'll forget it in about an hour, but it was fun while it lasted. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts