Gunner Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.
Some of you may have picked up on my posts that I have been selling. The gun market is hot and selling is mostly successful, except for Ruger MKII's.......unless you want to give them away, which I don't. None the less, I sold a few pistols and got enough to buy an item on my bucket list......an Ed Brown 1911, Special Forces. This pistol has been out ot production for a while, but, I found a new in the box, manufactured 2014, for $2450. I bought it landed with Freight and FFl transfer for $2495. I sold my TRP, which I bought used, with an idiot scratch, and some other stuff. I broke even on my sales/purchase. I will be 74 years old in May, and find I am taking more pleasure in quality than quantity. I have always enjoyed quality, but have been "gun shy" on some higher price guns. I am still frugal. I would not buy a Nighthawk, but am thrilled with my Ed Brown. I don't know if the price is worth more than a quality Springfield, but knowing with the Ed Brown you are holding a true custom handgun brings a great sense of personal satisfaction. Springfield and Dan Wesson are possibly as good as the Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, and Les Bauer, but there is something about knowing that pistols made by high end manufactures don't short on quality materials or craftsmanship. Any gun with a good reputation can bring you pleasure, pride, and security. A higher end gun gives you pride in knowing the manufacturer went beyond the assembly line. They put their name and their pride in it and so should the owner. My Ed Brown is not a safe queen. I hope to shoot the hell out of it. However, I decided not to put it in a holster to avoid wear and scratches. It will be a range gun, encouraging me to shoot more. However, if the SHTF it will be on my side at all times. Thank God I live in America.

·
Super Moderator
4,287 Posts
Hey.
Some of you may have picked up on my posts that I have been selling. The gun market is hot and selling is mostly successful, except for Ruger MKII's.......unless you want to give them away, which I don't. None the less, I sold a few pistols and got enough to buy an item on my bucket list......an Ed Brown 1911, Special Forces. This pistol has been out ot production for a while, but, I found a new in the box, manufactured 2014, for $2450. I bought it landed with Freight and FFl transfer for $2495. I sold my TRP, which I bought used, with an idiot scratch, and some other stuff. I broke even on my sales/purchase. I will be 74 years old in May, and find I am taking more pleasure in quality than quantity. I have always enjoyed quality, but have been "gun shy" on some higher price guns. I am still frugal. I would not buy a Nighthawk, but am thrilled with my Ed Brown. I don't know if the price is worth more than a quality Springfield, but knowing with the Ed Brown you are holding a true custom handgun brings a great sense of personal satisfaction. Springfield and Dan Wesson are possibly as good as the Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, and Les Bauer, but there is something about knowing that pistols made by high end manufactures don't short on quality materials or craftsmanship. Any gun with a good reputation can bring you pleasure, pride, and security. A higher end gun gives you pride in knowing the manufacturer went beyond the assembly line. They put their name and their pride in it and so should the owner. My Ed Brown is not a safe queen. I hope to shoot the hell out of it. However, I decided not to put it in a holster to avoid wear and scratches. It will be a range gun, encouraging me to shoot more. However, if the SHTF it will be on my side at all times. Thank God I live in America. View attachment 11646 View attachment 11647
That is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on being in the right place at the right time to bring that beauty home.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
That's a beauty, Ridge!
As my Grandpa would say, you're shittin in tall cotton now.

Reactions: RidgeRunner

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Congartulations! A beautiful addition!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Makes you smile, so it's worth every cent. Very nice 1911. They don't get any better than Ed Brown.

Reactions: RidgeRunner

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Clark & Ellen Griswold......do I get extra points ?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have put 40 rounds through it, and racked the slide over 400 times. I haven't shot it more because I did not want to use up my inventory in ball ammo. I shopped hard trying to find ammo under 90 cents per round, and finally found 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle shipped to the house for 88 cents/round. It seems like I paid 45 cents the previous time. I went fishing today, and need to clean the boat tomorrow, and then I will shoot some more. I haven't done any target shooting, only shooting steel plates.

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
I forget about the ammo gouging as I reload and have both cast and plated bullets in bulk along with several hundred JHP's on hand for the 45 ACP. When I go to the range at home (I'm a member of) I scrounge brass for calibers I own. I bulked up on primers several years ago so that just leaves powder and a pound of that will go a long way loading handgun.

It's a good hobby to take up Ridge just not right now with all the hysteria out there.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to reload 44 Mag, but some of my older reloads had bad primers. They would not fire. It discouraged me on reloading.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts