Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Montana man mauled by grizzly, severely injured

By SCOTT McMILLION Chronicle Staff Writer

A Montana man was mauled and severely injured in a run-in with a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park's Hayden Valley Wednesday, park officials confirmed Wednesday evening.

The man, in his late 50s, was apparently taking photographs of a female grizzly and her cub along Trout Creek when he was attacked, park spokesman Al Nash said.

Despite “severe facial injuries,” he was able to walk two or three miles to the Grand Loop Road, where visitors found him and alerted rangers.

The man, whose name and hometown were not released pending notification of relatives, was taken by ambulance to West Yellowstone and then by air to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls.

“There are bears all over the place down there,” said Tom Murphy, a Livingston wildlife photographer who often works in the Hayden Valley.

He speculated that the man might have come across a bear guarding a carcass.

“It's a real active time of year for bears,” Nash said.

This is the first bear attack in the park this season, although there was one near the park in eastern Idaho this spring. In that case a man was mauled by a male grizzly that was guarding a carcass on the man's rural property. That bear was later killed by Idaho officials.

Nash said there are no plans at this time to take any measures against the bear.

He said he did not know if the man had been photographing the bear, or if he carried or used bear pepper spray.

“I don't know any of the details,” he said.

There have been eight bear-caused human injuries in the park since 2000. The last time a bear killed a person in the park was in 1986.

That man's name was Bill Tesinsky, an amateur photographer from Great Falls who died in the north end of the Hayden Valley. He was killed by a female grizzly he had been photographing.

Nash urged park visitors to stow all food in vehicles or bear-proof containers, hike in groups, make noise on trails, carry bear pepper spray and know how to use it.
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articl ... 20bear.txt

It is flippin time to allow park visitors to be able to protect themselves!

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
People forget that they are wild animals. I wouldn't get to close even with pepper spray. I'd want my Redhawk or SBH on my side.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what part of wild in 'wild animal', some don't get. :eek:

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
Yeah, I don't know what part of wild in 'wild animal', some don't get. :eek:

Boy if that's not the truth!

·
Registered
203 Posts
(The man, in his late 50s, was apparently taking photographs of a female grizzly and her cub along Trout Creek when he was attacked, park spokesman Al Nash said. )

There's you answer right there. A sow grizzley will always protect her cub from mans
intrusion. Too bad he wasn't smart enough to remember that fact.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I always wanted to go to yellowstone-------but i think i'll avoid the bears. In my mind, they are a predator----not a photo opertunity, and unless things change, i will be unarmed by law.

A big grizzly might view "bear spray" as nothin' more than tabasco sauce to go on his next meal...............

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
God told us to have dominion over all the Earth and subdue it...not pepper spray it....

·
Registered
859 Posts
exactly.....I dont care too much for zoo's. Let the animals roam......just be prepared to take control when an attack is on it's way. Throwin a roll of tootsie roll's at um aint helpin much. Never heard of a bear being taken with a camera......How's that grandbaby doin sheepdog ?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
If the bears don't have to leave their claws at the gate then neither do I. I just don't go where my guns can't go unless its to the court house. And I try to avoid that by being single.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Snuffy said:
If the bears don't have to leave their claws at the gate then neither do I. I just don't go where my guns can't go unless its to the court house. And I try to avoid that by being single.
now that is the best argument i've ever heard for not visitin' a park!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
if if i may, i'll quote you from time to time on that! :lol:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
You made my day Snuffy!!

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Great way to say it, Snuffy.....shame we can't carry it over to everyplace 2-legged animals go....

·
Registered
249 Posts
in 1984 in tokyo bar, ninja got into wrestling match with female bear. no wait please this is not correct, ninja had much sake and wrestled bare female. she later made him marry her as this was first mrs. ninja.

ninja and his bent sword are hailed?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
ninja said:
in 1984 in tokyo bar, ninja got into wrestling match with female bear. no wait please this is not correct, ninja had much sake and wrestled bare female. she later made him marry her as this was first mrs. ninja.

ninja and his bent sword are hailed?
:? :lol:

You seem to have the most exciting life of anyone on here. :eek:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
That's cause it's only lived in his head. :lol: Not even sure that mrs. ninja is real. I'd bet his job is writing comic books. He's a very entertaining 2 inch high little dude.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Why do I get the distinct impression you're right Natalie? :lol: :lol:

If nothing else he is entertaining. :mrgreen:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I missed the part where we figured out he is 2" tall. :? :lol:

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
If we are comparing Avatars, Mr Ninja is taller than Mr Clean's Tattooed brother. :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts