Gunner Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got kitchen duty today.............dependin' on who you talk to, this can be a good or a bad thing................. ;)

I'm on "back-up" call today, which means i have to stay at the house by the phone in case the on-call deputy needs help. On these types of days, i give the wife a break on the cookin' and try my hand at it. so today's menu consisted of

zaratain's cajun rice mixed with italian meatballs
italian green beans in butter and cooked with a tad of honey
taters
corn on the cob
and for desert, pinapple chunks in cottage cheese

guess it went over purty well cause none of it is left.

the meatballs in the cajun rice was different and raised a few eyebrows as i never tried that before but i guess they were hungry enough to eat it with a splash of country bob's steak sauce mixed in.............
we usually eat a ton of zaratain's mixed with plain hamburger as its cheap and fills ya' up purty good....................

this went over good enough that i'll do'er again sometime. A lot better than the rice-a-roni with spam i cooked last time.. :eek:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Doesn't sound bad. The rice a roni with spam though.... :?

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...ain't had Spam since 1963...think it was about the belly button I got in a slice....awful big belly button.....don't miss it a bit......

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
I'd take peanutbutter and jelly over spam. Hard to identify as meat. Wasn't that WWII rations or something?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spam-----or as the blue colar comedians like to say
Stuff
Poseing
As
Meat

i ate a ton of this stuff growing up. And it is a part of our emergency rations for SHTF so to speak. But we rotate it out by date. Usually slice it thin and fry it up and serve on toast with mircle whip. but it don't stir fry too well with rice a roni........... :oops: ..

We keep spam on hand as well as those canned hams(bout' the same thing)
potted meat
a couple cases of ranch style beans
canned soups and canned stews.
fruit cocktail

its my job to make sure the old stock gets rotated to the front of the shelf and the "fresh" stuff goes to the back........ ;)

·
Registered
859 Posts
S.O.S......I know some folks know about this......whatin that bad ....when daddy came home . he used to like it on toasted bread. aint that bad for a filler......lol.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Slice the Spam about 3/8" thick, & fry it in a "hot" frypan. As soon as it's browned, cover it with Brown Sugar & heat it till the sugar melts. It's good with fried taters & onions!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'll give that a try next time--sounds good!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts