Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I looked in one of the "Black Friday" adds for a local sporting goods store that normally carries a few mil-surp guns. They had Mosin Nagant 91/30's on sale for $79.99. However, this was an early bird special, and they are notorious for only having 1 or 2 of the advertised guns at that price. I figured what the heck, and I got up at 03:30 this morning and made the trip in to the store to be there when they opened up at 05:00. The had only two, and I got the first one, and the second one was spoken for about 10 minutes after I got there. Of course then I had to wait until 06:00 for NICS to open to have the background check...But at that price for that gun with the oil bottle, ammo pouch, and all the cleaning tools, it was worth standing around and shooting the shit for a while. Plus all the numbers match, even the bolt, which hardly ever happens...

The one that I got though was the only one they had still boxed that came with all the neat-o little accessories, and the stock was in MUCH better shape.

If you don't know your Mosin Nagant's it's the one on top in the pics. It's a 1940 Russian from the Tula arsenal. I might not like the commies, but I LOVE their guns.

·
Registered
977 Posts
nice find i would have waited around too.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say though...the 3 hours it took me to get everything cleaned, degreased, and polished does take a little of the fun out of surplus rifles.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I have to ask, what caliber is it? I don't know any of them. :roll:

I do like the looks though. I'd like to have one in 30-06 or 308. :)

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are both 7.62x54 R. The R stands for rimmed (or Russian depending on who you ask).

They look like this...

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I could never even find crazy ammo like that for them around here. :roll:

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's cheaper and easier than you think...I can pick up 440 rounds for about $100. It's all mil-surp, berdan primed stuff for the most part so it is slightly corrosive, but if you clean the gun when you're done shooting it doesn't hurt a darn thing. And it was what the gun was designed to shoot.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
great rifle.................

was this a chain store like "big 5"??

G

·
0 Posts
nice rifle!!!!!!.if you can get a pic of the reciever I can tell you the maker ect.
pete

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...now, Pete...that guy ain't you...he's more swavy and deboned lookin'....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dunham's is famous for the bait & switch with their sales. They seem to stock a fair amount of standard surplus fodder. $79 ain't bad for a noisy maggot in that shape though. Ya done good.
Also you can cook up some pretty accurate reloads for them. Brass is cheap & 312 boolits are readily avaiable. Ole Pete's got some good recipes I'm sure :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts