Gunner Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok most of ya have read my story about the school prodject, well the sad part my Dad is no longer with me to help and show me how do stuff. And ofcourse laugh at the mess I made of the wood. Yep ya got it the loadin blocks have ended up fire wood lol. So this morning I placed and order for loading strips from Cabela's sure some nice folks to deal with. But I have had fun laughing and wondering what my Dad would have said and ofcourse showed me how to make it the right way. That man could do anything with wood not me. I can do pretty good with steel I was a welder for a good while. Got tired of moving from job to job. Anyhow all is good.
Ya know I am glad that deputy 125 invited me here and glad ya'll have had the warm welcome for me too. Thanks again ya'll for having me.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I know what ya mean, Snuffy....my father was pretty darn good at planting and raising things....he always had two beautiful and bountiful gardens every year. I just planted my first garden a few weeks ago, and frankly, I suck at it.....don't like gardening anyways.....Daddy loved it. He always wanted to be a farmer, but just didn't think he could make a living at it....I'm the same way with cooking. Mom and Dad tried their best to get me to go to culinary school, but I just didn't think I could make a living as a chef....I was wrong.....

·
Registered
739 Posts
My father always had a woodworking shop at home I reckon. He built high end pianos for a living. He said the night I was born my mother and he were in their shop. She started having pains and he told her it was time to go to the hospital. She wouldn’t leave until she finished what she was making.
Dad said that’s why I was interested in woodworking too LOL.
I have always had a wood shop too I reckon. I have more things that say Craftsman out there than Sears at the mall.

Dad also raised a large garden. About an acre. When I came home from school every day, it was time to work in the garden and pick or dig up something for supper. Luckily Dad let me drink beer with him all the time too!
I reckon I got sick of working in that garden and was happy when he gave it up. We grew so much stuff, he’d have to take a carload to work everyday to give all the stuff away.

After a while though, I missed those fresh vegetables! When I got married my wife owned a house in the city. I couldn’t stand that!
So we saved up our money and bought this place in the woods just a few miles from where I was raised. Our first spring here we cut down about 20 trees, plowed up some ground and planted a bunch of seeds.

About 3 weeks later all the trees started to leave out and you had to take a flashlight in the middle of the day to look for sprouts LMAO!
We gave up on that!

Last year with the big drought here, the deer even came up on the porch and ate all my wife’s potted flowers!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
lol, i don't have a lot of wood skills at all. most of the stuff we fixed probably centered around baling wire as it seems it was always handy and we wired a lot of things together including the old pickup. Guess is from the lack of big trees around here..............
Course now-a-days folks have moved on to better things than wire---such as duct tape :lol:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Yeah I have no wood working skills to speak of. My father and one of my brothers do. They're very good. But they don't know how to reload. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya see we all have stories and I love to read them and share. I too am the only one in my family that reloads lol. I have a chain saw on a pole that extends been using it for 10 years now. I help my long time co worked buddy out and trim his his trees each year use to use it on my place until the courts gave it to the ex lol such is life. Anyhow his wife tells me each year that thing has more wire on it than a bale of hay lol I tell well it works better that way. Next year I am moving up to duck tape lol.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
You know I could never figure out what exactly those ducks need with their own tape. :?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To tell ya the truth I have never seen them with tape just always heard it was theirs lol.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I'm going to keep my eyes pealed, Snuffy. If I catch one of them little devils I'll be sure to ask about it. :mrgreen:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I seen a little beat to crap Ford Ranger today, and half the box was duct tape. Poor man's bondo! :lol:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Wizard said:
I know what ya mean, Snuffy....my father was pretty darn good at planting and raising things....he always had two beautiful and bountiful gardens every year. I just planted my first garden a few weeks ago, and frankly, I suck at it.....don't like gardening anyways.....Daddy loved it. He always wanted to be a farmer, but just didn't think he could make a living at it....I'm the same way with cooking. Mom and Dad tried their best to get me to go to culinary school, but I just didn't think I could make a living as a chef....I was wrong.....
You really are a great cook then - you weren't pullin' my chain or anything. Your wife got a bargain when she married you!!! I know two guys who are great cooks and do all the cooking in their homes and I've always been a little jealous of their wives. There are currently two professional chefs in our extended family. Very long hours.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Drummer said:
Duck Tape?? We call that Chrome, here in Kentucky!

Good laugh! :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts