Gunner Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this to use at Friendship. It is the Pietta Shooters Model version . Locks up real
tight. These cost 925 from Dixie. I got this from a friend no where near that. The trigger is
Excellcent . Chambers measure .457 dia. Barrel is the progressive rifiling and is 5 groove.
This was made in 2002. Can't tell it's ever been fired. I measured the Hornady ball I plan
to use and they measure .457-.460 dia. You can't push one in with thumb pressure. You
have to use the loading lever. Plan to use 18 grs Swiss FFF with creme-of-wheat filler.
Do any of you have any experience with these revolvers?

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I'm sure TGR will be along to help you on that. I an planning to get into BP revolvers at some point, but probably not till spring. Be very interested to hear how it shoots for you.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
The original Remy had progressive rifling too . It is the most accurate pistol you will ever shoot . Nice fine :mrgreen: . That load is about where I would start too .

This the 1st and only target I shot with this gun in the last 40 yrs I owned it and it is a Pietta too but NO progressive rifling .

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Good Lord, now I will have to get one of those. You're killing me, here, TGR, but what a way to go. :)

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Gotta get one of those! :-D

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I like my Ruger Old Army too . This is the 1st and only time I shot this gun too . The reason I got it was it was new unfired with original box and all the paper work and serial # 475 and no prefix and Ruger quit making them .

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Ok fellers help a guy out with no experience in these old bp revolvers, primer, powder, cream of wheat to fill the cylinder so the bullet seats near the barrel in the cylinder?

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Ok fellers help a guy out with no experience in these old bp revolvers, primer, powder, cream of wheat to fill the cylinder so the bullet seats near the barrel in the cylinder?
You forgot to put grease on the top of bullet to keep it from chain firing and to keep the powder fouling soft . A $20 ball seater make this job loading a piece of cake .

This is a better one

·
Registered
4 Posts
The original Remy had progressive rifling too . It is the most accurate pistol you will ever shoot . Nice fine :mrgreen: . That load is about where I would start too .

This the 1st and only target I shot with this gun in the last 40 yrs I owned it and it is a Pietta too but NO progressive rifling .

I have just purchased one of these, the only negative thing are the small grips, is there an after market rubber one that will fit.

·
Super Moderator
4,293 Posts
You have resurrected an old thread. The last post on this was in 2014. The member you quoted has not been active here for quite a while. I don’t personally own that revolver. But I do have a Uberti stallion in 22lr. If you do an online search for grips for the model you have you may find some that will fit the gun. But fitting your preferred grip may be a crap shoot. If looks don’t matter to you and what you are looking for is just making the gun feel better to shoot you might try some grip tape similar to this.
https://talongungrips.com/other-grips/diy-material/diy-5-x-7-material-sheets/
You can cut it to fit and double up on it to make the grip thicker.
Hope you find what you are looking for. One of our other members who have spent more time with single action "cowboy" revolvers may have more information for you. If they check in. Be patient we are a small but pretty damn knowledgeable group.
And welcome to our humble group of gun lovers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts