Gunner Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leupold 2.5 X 20 FX II. Took me a lot of time over two weeks to find this. One place took two days to tell me they didn't have it. Another thought they had it and didn't. I had paid for it, got a refund. Finally got tipped by a member on RF, an eBay listing had 3 of them.

I had thought I was getting a Leupold mount, but the eBay guy also had a Weaver mount I like better. Thumb screw base instead of 5 (wow) Torx. I won't see it until Monday or Tuesday, but that's okay. The scope was like finding the Holy Grail.... :rolleyes:
Microphone Audio equipment Font Magenta Electric blue
Auto part Font Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Fashion accessory

The Leupold almost bought
Auto part Font Composite material Automotive wheel system Metal

· Administrator
12,144 Posts
Looks like a see thru mount. Never tried one of them but then again never owned an AR platform. Once you get it set up let us know how it shoots. I would imagine it would drop them right in there.

· Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a see thru, just lightens it. The forward offset is to keep the base off the flexible handguard. The mount is standard AR height. I can flip the irons down and leave them on. That's where the thumb screws might be handy, switching to those or my dot sight. I could have gotten a QD mount, but they can snag and come loose too easy, extra $$ too.

· Administrator
12,144 Posts
I went thru Basic and AIT in 1967 with the M-14 as the AR platform was just being adopted. I remember a weapons demo where an M-16 was fired and it jammed 3 or 4 times while it was being fired. Most of the guys were headed for Vietnam and their eyes got buggy when they saw that. I was a Reservist so I went home and we had M-1's. All the early bugs obviously were worked out and they are solid now.

· Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Basic M-16s rattled bad. You could have heard us coming a mile away. I think if you slammed the butt down against a table they would have detail stripped themselves.

My 9 weeks in the Army in 1976 is a long story, but I do have an Honorable. Just not enough time for benefits.

Short story, they ignored the "Guaranteed in writing" deal they had back then. They were going to stick me with a different MOS at a different fort. I bruised my hand, and somehow the Army doctor and I traded stories. His wife was also Army, and they had just transferred her to another fort several hundred miles away. He wrote up my bruised tendon as a growth missed in the induction physical. He got some satisfaction, and a big grin, out of helping someone else who got screwed. That got me an Honorable for Medical Reason. By time I was actually out, the lump in my hand was gone.

The discharge made my carry permit easy-peezy, just a few forms. What time I was in I got to shoot some full-auto. I never touched a handgun, but Virginia doesn't care.

· Administrator
12,144 Posts
I was 11B10 as my reserve unit art the time was Basic Cadre so we pushed troops for 2 weeks at summer camp. I got a chance to transfer out to a headquarters for a sub-ARCOM and we had 17 units under us. The old man was a bird colonel and I wound up in supply and eventually was supply sgt. I had a Major that cleared the decks for me. He was the S4 and a SGT Maj I reported to. They were both great guys and good to me so my 6 years went by pretty easy. There were a lot of guys in my AIT company that were supposed to go to OCS after the 8 week AIT and they came out with a ruling no college degree no OCS. They all went to RVN as grunts, rather PO'ed ones at that.

I fired M60, M-14A2 (that was a trip), M79 grenade launcher, Ma Duce, & 1911. That was the fun part. Qualified expert on the M60 and barely qualified on the full auto M-14. Those were the only ones fired for record plus the M-14 in Basic.

· Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well the scope is at my main PO this evening. It was one of a two item order, from Lancaster PA. The business has two locations, Lancaster and Louisville KY. The mount is part two from Louisville, and tracks as "Label Created", for two days. It hasn't even been picked up yet. It should have been here tonight too, only 140 miles difference. I should be looking forward to mounting it Monday, but now the mount will be Wednesday delivery if then....:mad:

All of my package troubles over the last two months have been lousy business shipping, not the shipping companies. All of them have run on time, once they actually have the package....:(.:mad:.:(

· Administrator
12,144 Posts
Most everything down here is USPS eventually. UPS or Fed Ex hands over to the PO. Sometimes stuff comes to Tallahassee then Jacksonville where it sits a week then back to Tallahassee. If we order thru Amazon we usually wind up with a refund and may or may not get the stuff eventually.

· Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Scope mount package finally left the business yesterday, that took 5 days. It actually moved ten miles, then sat at the Louisville hub for 12 hours. Finally got moving again at 7 this morning with 410 miles to go. The PO has about 19 hours to get the remaining 230 miles to my hub for delivery tomorrow. They just have to average 12 mph.....:rolleyes:

We did have the deal with USPS delivering for other carriers, but I haven't noticed it the last few months. Our problem, they don't process anything but Priority here now. Everything else goes to Greensboro NC first. Often means my mail passes me, then backtracks like your mail. That adds three hours driving time to Roanoke mail at probably 6 mpg....makes sense to me....o_O

I had a Midway package do like my scope mount, just before Thanksgiving. I paid for next day air, and it didn't move for 4 days. Two emails during the wait got me cheap excuses. Then I dug up Larry Potterfield's email address and showed CS I had it. Then they apologized and refunded the entire shipping. All I wanted was the difference between next day and ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts