Gunner Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W new products include a 642 and a Centennial without internal locks...the tide may be turning????

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
No guys, the reason they do not have the locks is that these have the grip safety of the original centennials, therefore, Smith does not feel the need for the locks on these models.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
sheepdog said:
...and the 642s???
Well, that is a new one on me. I just read in one of the gun rags that the Centennial was the ONLY S and W without the lock, but apparently they were wrong. I hope the hell S and W starts offering their guns without the lock. I might actually buy one.

Here is the link to the 642:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Maybe they figure that an internal lock on a gun that's made to be carried is stupid. When would you use it? Plus didn't they have trouble with the guns locking up and not firing because of the locks?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
well, if ya don't like them shiney ones, RSR is sellin' the Johnny Cash black version model 442 without the lock.............

just put this item number in the rsr # block and hit search.......... SW150544FC

http://www.rsrgroup.com/cgi-bin/cgirpcux/WTM-002O

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More likely, a department or agency ordered them for BUGs without locks...and they figured "what the heck?....why re-tool?"...it's gotta have to do with money..they've shown us they don't care what WE think!!!

I'd love to win the lottery bigtime...I'd go to Smith and Ruger and order about 5000 .44 Spl 5-shot 3" stainless bull barrelled revolvers...and see how fast they could turn them out...keep some for me and sell the rest....they'll make fly swatters if the money's there....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
i poked around a bit and the "internet rumor" consensus is these are older pre-lock frames that were in storage and they are getting rid of them so when they are all gone, we are back to buying the lock or lookin' for used guns.................

or

its BS as you know how rumors go.................

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might buy a stainless hammerless...used, but I'd more likely buy a second stainless Bodyguard...best of both worlds...

I still have my Stainless Model 65 3" .357----still hoping to find a Model 64 2" RB to trade it for...I think they were the ultimate snubby....I had the M10 blue...someday...

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
My wife has a 642 no lock on order....should be here in 3 or 4 days....I had heard (can't verify), that S&W took such a beating with the locks failing, and locking the guns up, that they decided to go back to the pre-lock guns.....

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
A lock on a gun is about as much use as a gun law to me. Neither have ever stopped a crime andif your worried about kids getting in to the guns then the kitchen kinves and kitchen should be locked up also. Tv should be lock and the computer also and the list goes on.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...I taught my boys at 3,4,5 the difference in feel/weight between their toy guns and my real ones...what to do if they ever encountered a real gun out somewhere or at a friend's house....what guns were for and not for....by the time they were 8, they were shooting...by 10---good enough and trained enough to repel boarders....no mystery or hiding...guns are tools...and a hammer with a "safety lock" is no good at all....guns are for stopping unexpected trouble in a matter of seconds...no good locked up, no good locked, no good unloaded....the state of instant readiness is part of the picture.....many places in a home where a gun can be ready and undetectable by guests(i.e. other children)---we just don't need locks on guns....what we DO need is enforcement of the existing laws to punish effectively those who abuse them...but that'd require blaming one's actions on oneself...and the crowd today needs to avoid that at all costs....blame the corporation...blame the gun...but a PERSON standing up and saying "I was wrong".....not PC....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.