Gunner Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog and I were walking in the woods two days ago, when a squirrel ran by. Cricket chased the squirrel and caught it. I hollered for her to drop it and she did. I looked at the squirrel and it seemed very dazed. From somewhere in my deepest feelings I felt compassion for the critter. I enjoy squirrel hunting and clean, cook and eat ‘em. But, for some dumb reason I figured I’d put the squirrel on a tree limb where Cricket couldn’t get to it. My inner voice said if you pick up that squirrel it’s gonna bite you, but I continued forward in my mental state of compassionate stupidity. I touched it on the top of it’s head, and it was calm. As I reached behind it’s ears to grab it by the neck, it bit into my index finger. I thought I had been attacked by an alligator turtle, and they won’t turn loose until it thunders, and the forecast was clear skies. So, I reached under the squirrels top lip and tried to pull his nose off his face. He opened his mouth, and I got his teeth out of the top of my finger. It wasn’t so easy getting his lower teeth out of the bottom of my finger. Once I was free from the monster, I threw it on the ground and stomped on it’s head. I poured bleach over the injuries, cleaned it more with alcohol and bandaged the area with polysporin. Today I decided I would be best to take some antibiotic and called to see if my doctor, 45 minutes away, would phone in a prescription. He wanted me to come into his office. When I removed the bandage, he rocked back in his chair and loudly said….WHOA! That wasn’t very encouraging. By the end of the day, I had a tetanus shot, antibiotic, ointment, and more bandages. His last comment was, if it keeps swelling you’ll need a surgeon to cut it open and lance it. No good deed goes unpunished. I’m going back to killing and eating squirrel, the heck with trying to help them. No More Mr. Nice Guy.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Trigger finger? That would make it hurt twice as much ! I hope it clears up quick for you.

I feel sad for all the animals I see run over, but would never risk touching one. I've had two interesting incidents though, while driving the bus.

One, there was a power line across the road ahead, at least 30 feet up. Squirrel in the middle fell off. I stopped to avoid him. Amazingly got up, glanced around a couple of seconds, and ran off like nothing happened.

Two, a bird hit my windshield, residential street, 25 mph. He just dropped straight down to the street. I got out to check him out. Saw him moving around some, so maybe he's just stunned? Saw a trash pizza box on the curb, slid it under him and put it back on the curb. I glanced back as I drove away, and saw him fly off.

Passengers chuckle at me braking for critters in the street.

Reactions: RidgeRunner

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
My dog and I were walking in the woods two days ago, when a squirrel ran by. Cricket chased the squirrel and caught it. I hollered for her to drop it and she did. I looked at the squirrel and it seemed very dazed. From somewhere in my deepest feelings I felt compassion for the critter. I enjoy squirrel hunting and clean, cook and eat ‘em. But, for some dumb reason I figured I’d put the squirrel on a tree limb where Cricket couldn’t get to it. My inner voice said if you pick up that squirrel it’s gonna bite you, but I continued forward in my mental state of compassionate stupidity. I touched it on the top of it’s head, and it was calm. As I reached behind it’s ears to grab it by the neck, it bit into my index finger. I thought I had been attacked by an alligator turtle, and they won’t turn loose until it thunders, and the forecast was clear skies. So, I reached under the squirrels top lip and tried to pull his nose off his face. He opened his mouth, and I got his teeth out of the top of my finger. It wasn’t so easy getting his lower teeth out of the bottom of my finger. Once I was free from the monster, I threw it on the ground and stomped on it’s head. I poured bleach over the injuries, cleaned it more with alcohol and bandaged the area with polysporin. Today I decided I would be best to take some antibiotic and called to see if my doctor, 45 minutes away, would phone in a prescription. He wanted me to come into his office. When I removed the bandage, he rocked back in his chair and loudly said….WHOA! That wasn’t very encouraging. By the end of the day, I had a tetanus shot, antibiotic, ointment, and more bandages. His last comment was, if it keeps swelling you’ll need a surgeon to cut it open and lance it. No good deed goes unpunished. I’m going back to killing and eating squirrel, the heck with trying to help them. No More Mr. Nice Guy.
See what Compassion gets you!

·
Administrator
11,214 Posts
Before I started heading south for the winter I would put out a birdfeeder. People used to ask what the holes were doing in it, I'd say woodpeckers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dang, RR. Sounds like that squirrel was really pissed off! To my knowledge squirrels don't carry rabies so that's a good thing. Probably the last of your Wild Kingdom Good Samaritan adventures, eh??

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right. According to my research and my doctor, squirrels don't carry rabies. Thanks for the confirmation.
However, I'm sure the episode didn't help my score on any IQ test.

Reactions: SmittyJ

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:giggle:(y) It is still healing deep inside my finger. It's hurts when I put pressure on it, right in the pad of my trigger finger, but getting better each day.
The first 3/4" of my finger is numb, (which rhymes with dumb). I'm sure I'll make a full recovery.
Thanks for the follow up doc.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hope your finger is totally well ASAP. We don't want to have to call you "Lefty"........:rolleyes:

I somehow squashed the tip of my right pinky in a car door a few years back. Purple and hurt for about three weeks. Just that made a lot of simple tasks a PITA.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks for what? A squirrel bite and a mashed pinky? You need to go to "New Users" and tell us about yourself.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Didn't you post once about having a tomahawk ?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They saw you coming with that big tomahawk and fell over on their own to escape...;)...

Where is that little rectangle on a keyboard? I've seen it a lot of places lately.

• Haha
Reactions: SmittyJ
1 - 18 of 18 Posts