Gunner Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The OTs-38 Stechkin Silent Revolver. Issued in 2002 for covert use. Uses a special 7.63 cartridge that has a piston between powder and bullet. Seals the cylinder gap and eliminates muzzle flash. All of the gases remain in the cartridge, making the gun nearly silent. The upper "barrel" is a laser sight. It has an ambidextrous safety, so it can be carried cocked. This reduces mechanical noise at time of use. Effective range of 100 feet, fatal range of 30 feet.
S&W made a snub revolver with a similar cartridge design in the Seventies. Major difference was that S&W's ammo was 10 mm and used 15 tungsten shot instead of a bullet. The S&W was tested in Vietnam. Proved to be useful as a quiet "tunnel gun" but dropped due to the limited range and special ammo requirement. Less than a hundred were made.

Photograph White Trigger Gun barrel Air gun

• Wow
Reactions: SmittyJ

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Article said they wanted a wide field of target in the dark tunnels. I'd guess tungsten was more effective, being really hard?

·
Administrator
11,975 Posts
Must have been in a shot capsule as I would think the tungsten would be hard on rifling unless they were smoothbore. Never could figure out why they sent someone down in the tunnels as I thought that is what grenades were for. Throw in a smoke grenade first and then see where the entrances were and then frag grenades in each one at the same time.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the article did say smooth bore. Another article said by time the US got involved the tunnel network covered 150 square miles. The VC started digging it in the 1940s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts