Gunner Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jay Leno and his 1909 Baker Electric car, click to enlarge:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Killing some time online, I ran across the Baker Electric car. Pretty fascinating, it was considered the best of the old electrics. It could hold four passengers; two sat backwards in the front, facing the driver in the left rear seat. Had a tiller instead of a steering wheel. Eight horsepower, six speeds and reverse. Baker only lasted from 1899 to 1916.

Anyhow, the thing could go 23 miles per hour, for 100 miles. The new electrics can go faster, but it costs them range. They won't make 100 miles doing much over 40 mph. Not much progress in 112 years.

Women liked them. No handcrank, no smelly gas, no noise. Even had electric lights, instead of the acetylene gas lamps like other cars. But they had to be rich, the Baker was $2500, which is about $70,000 now.

You can watch Jay show it off and drive it on YouTube. It takes him three minutes to get around to the Baker, and there's an ad in the middle. About 13 minutes :

Jay Leno's Baker Electric Car - YouTube

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
Leave it to Leno to have one of them among the 150 cars he owns.

There is a Tesla that is rated 520 miles and it only cost $160K. :rolleyes: My wife's car gets a consistent 22 miles per gallon and so for 100,000 miles that 4,545 gallons of gas at an average of $3.25 is a cost of $14,700. over 5 -6 years. I imagine charging is not free and not sure how frequently the batteries need to be replaced although 10 years seems to be the consensus. Right now it just isn't economical for us to consider it. It would be fine while we are here or in FL as I could put in my own charging stations and it would handle all our trips. The problem is getting from here to there or other long trips. Here is an interesting article on batteries:

The Clock Is Ticking On Electric Car Batteries - And How Long They Will Last (forbes.com)

By the time they develop something with 1,000 mile range in may be beyond my horizon.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I worked with a woman whose Prius died after 5 years, just over 100K miles. New lithium batteries would have been four grand. She sold the car to the dealer for half of wholesale book. Leno uses 12 golf cart batteries, which I guess would be good for five years of regular use and be a lot less than four grand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts