Gunner Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Older Winchester Model 70 Featherweight-257 Roberts: This rifle is an older post 64 rifle. It's a neat old gun that is not beat up. The rifle has now has a matte finished and recoil pad added to increase length of pull. Neither change bothers me. The caliber is 257 Roberts.

I have been loading the Roberts since the 1970's.. Several rifles in the caliber has gone through my hands. A scope is to be mounted in the next several days. That scope is a new condition Bushnell 3-9. Banner scope. I can get going with that scope for a start..

The first loads will be made up using SW 4350 and Reloader 17. I've never loaded modern Barnes bullets. On hand is a box of Barnes 100gr. bullets. Another favorite bullet is the 100 gr. Sierra. In the day the 75gr. Hornady bullet was unbeatable at 3500fps.

I was wondering if anybody could share experiences with either rifle or caliber . Along with this new rifle plans are to work on the 338 Federal round in the T3. All this should keep me out of trouble.

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see how this goes: I had loaded the Roberts as a dual purpose round. I stuck with the 75gr. bullets that worked very well. I had also made loads for the 117 gr. Hornady round nose bullet. I felt that the 75gr. bullet's would expanded properly. It did. We also used some 75gr. Sierra's.that were excellent bullets. I really liked the 85gr. Sierra bullet in the 243 caliber.. In that day that Sierra was not a varmint bullet. I never hunted with the 117gr. RN. The idea was not to load 117 gr, Hornady to the gills for the short ranges we hunting larger game.

This little project will get off to a slow start. Twenty-five caliber bullets are scarce during this hoax famine. I do not have very many 100gr. Barnes bullets. I'll just have to make do.

This Model 70 is a post 64 rifle not to be confused with the pre-64's. The rifle is the typical push feed post 64 Model 70's. However. these guns are nicely stocked. More later. I'd like to get comments of all sorts. Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Haven't heard of the 257 Roberts for a long time, used to be a popular Deer rifle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Roberts is one of these cartridges that keeps being rediscovered. New cartridges make the headlines. The Roberts keeps chugging along. I'm seeing a rediscovery of 222 Remington and the 338 Federal. The 10mm handgun round of these new found old rounds. There are all good. It has to do with what people want. Wants change.

Added: Looks like people are paying a premiums of now discontinued factory rifles in 257.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts