Gunner Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A young man has from what I am told killed himself. Someone said it was over a women some say something else. I don't think we will ever really know the truth other than he is dead and was shot but was it by his own hand or did someone help him? I knew of him but didn't him close. Just someone I worked with, I guess he was really hurtting and needed to end the pain. Well if they say he took his own life then insurance won't pay a dime that is a a shame for his family.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Suicide is never the right answer....a lot of it is anger....purposing to hurt those left behind to get even with them for hurts to the actor....(personally, I can cause them a lot more misery by just staying alive......)...it's nothing but a waste of a precious life...sad without comfort....I will pray for that poor family....maybe in the talking about it, some young person will decide "I'll NEVER do that"...we can hope so...

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
i'm sorry you lost your co-worker.
This is a quite sensitive subject i know as to the who and why.
Over my own family history, i have had some kinfolk go the suicide route. While it might not make a lick of sense to us who live on afterwards, i guess to them it makes sense at the time of the act. But for some, the method may mean no 2nd chance.Most suicide cases that i have worked usually involve
terminal illness
mental health illness
problems with the love life/divorce

when it strikes out of the blue and no one sees it commin'---it sure can shake ya up.......

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said I just worked with him a few times and he seemed ok. heck I talked with him about the divorce and shoot had been through it twice. I told him living a good happy as ya can be life is revenge enough for me.
But he has really hurt the kids he left behind now they get nothing I don't think ss will do anything or not.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Well that sucks. Hopefully his insurance will pay. If he had any. Most insurances have a 1-2 year suicide clause.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I think it's OK if the person who chooses it is in their right mind, and is doing for the "right" reasons.

I think it's not ok, if a person is depressed, lost a love one, or broken up over a failed marriage. I have seen these suicides, and they are sad and pathetic for everyone involved.

But I have also seen suicide as a reasonable choice. We have had a good family friend that chose to end his own life rather than continue into the downhill slide of continuing strokes and dementia. He made a choice, and we respected that. I think I would do the same...

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Suicide robs the loved ones of the benefit of the life of the deceased...children usually end up wondering "Wasn't my love enough reason to live"....suicide is the only thing that keeps God from working to make things better....

One more thing....young people don't see the future like we do...there is only what they see and feel NOW....we can help by focusing any young person on their worth and value to others...how much hurt it would cause their friends and family, and what they'd miss by not living as long as, for example, we have....

I'm adamant about this....I know what I'm saying....when my first marriage was in ruins, I lay in bed in the dark one night with my issued Model 66 to my temple...thinking of how it'd "show" my soon-to-be ex-wife...to splatter my brains all over her....then she'd be sorry...wish she'd changed......

I then thought of my 3 1/2 year old son in bed in the next room...the horror it would cause him, the loss of his Dad...having had my Dad die at 13 1/2...I knew what that would be like....but worse because my Dad had no choice....I decided I couldn't do that to my son, and I put my weapon down and instead asked God to give me comfort and help me live through my pain and live for my son's benefit....

When my son was nine, he and his sister came over to visit me one weekend, and he sat on the bed with me and told me that things were rough at home...with his mother the way she was...he'd mess up in the morning and she'd be on him all day, no matter how hard he tried to make it right...she was very angry and unforgiving...he said "Dad, I just wish I wasn't alive sometimes....I don't want to go on like this." It was then that I told him the story of the unhappy young policeman laying there in the dark that night....and I asked him if he could guess who that little boy was.....he knew it was him.....and we shared a long hug because I didn't quit on him......then I told him: "I lived for you, now you live for your sister....she desparately needs you to help and encourage her, 'cause Mom treats her the same, and she'd be horribly lonely and always wonder why she wasn't enough reason to stay alive......my son squared his shoulders and looked me in the eye and promised me he'd NEVER quit...for Karen.....like I never quit for him......and he hasn't...he's 34 now-she's 31........

When I look back over my life, there's good and bad...easy and hard...I praise God often that I've lived these almost 30 more years...and had my three sons by this second marriage...now have two granddaughters....all my friends and that includes you guys....suicide is ALWAYS THE WRONG CHOICE!!!

This is different from choosing methods of dealing with severe illness...not choosing chemo, for instance....or choosing not to be resucitated...that is not suicide...but letting life run out naturally....family can respect, honor, and understand that a lot better than suicide...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts