Gunner Forum banner

One of two black powder handgun's I own.

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Bountyhunter 
#1 ·
This is a "Starr Patent Arms" .44 Cal. single action revolver, from the Civil War Era. It belonged to My Grandfather, & His Father before Him. The date on the side of the frame is; "Jan. 15th. 1856" When I was younger, My Grandfather & I shot it regularly. When He passed away in 1973, I inherited it. It has an amazing trigger pull ! Like breaking glass, @ 2 1/2#.
It only comes out of the safe occasionally, to be cleaned, oiled, & put back again. I wouldn't part with it, but no longer wish to fire it. Some Day maybe My Son will !

See less See more
#6 ·
fine lookin' revolver there......
just about all of my bp shootin' revolves around a 54 hawken. Been threatenin' to get a bp pistol again but it keeps getin' pushed to the back burner. Would like to get one of those lyman great plains pistols.

#7 ·
I've sat & reminesced, about the times that My Grandfather & I used to shoot this one, & have been thinking about buying one of the better Colt replica's. I've seen some really nice ones now. Even the new genuine Colt's aren't all that expensive, & they are a lot of fun ! I might just have to do that soon.

Jim

#8 ·
another great positive about most bp weapons----no stinkin' paperwork as deliver to your house---at least in these parts. A lot of fellers play with the brass frame revolvers that i've seen probably due to the lower costs, but they seem to be holding up well as they don't hot rod them. Now if i was going to try a revolver though, i'm torn between a .36 navy replica (wild Bill) or the ruger old army (shear stength and optonal aftermarket 45 colt cylinder).

The Lewis and Clark in me says get the single shot, but the cowboy screams revolver.

#11 ·
unusual under-hammer design there...........very creative and functional as i'm only familer with them on rifles...............

is that t/c sights on her?

#14 ·
Saw one of these for sale in a local gun shop today Mag 41. First one I have seen except the one on display in the museum at the Lost Dutchman's Mine. Asking price is $1200 and if I had the money I would grab it in a minute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.