Gunner Forum banner

Open Sights: How Far Is Too Far?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  NCLEO89 
#1 ·
So, tomorrow, I'm finally going to be able to try out my new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. No glass on it yet; just straight up iron sights. I plan on just blowing up some distant water jugs, & maybe seeing how she groups with the irons. My questions for you experienced bolt gunners out there: For the kind of shooting I just mentioned, how far is too far with open sights? At what distance does a bolt action .308 really need glass? Thanks, y'all.

#2 ·
I shot pistol sihouette for years and we shot from 50 meter to 200 meters and I shot over 40 perfect match with iron sight . My 308 M-1 Garand I don't ever remember missing a 12"x12" steel target at 200 yds off hand with stock peeps on the gun . Shooting 200 yds at water jug with iron sights would be a blast .

#4 · (Edited)
Have to factor in a lot of factors - eyesight, size of target, type of open sights used and, of course, your own standard of what is acceptable accuracy. For me, these days, it's mostly eyesight - that durn target and front sight have been getting mighty fuzzy. Anything past 100 yards and I will be chomping at the bit for a scope or, at least, a red dot. Sure, I could hit milk jugs at those distances with iron, but just don't see any reason not to at least use a red dot.

#5 ·
Some type of scope is probably going atop the GSR one day.....just no time soon. December will be my 20 year wedding anniversary, and so I gotta save up what I can to get the wife something nice. Of course, I COULD buy a red dot, wrap it up nice and pretty, give it to her on the appointed day....then I could say, "Gee, honey...if YOU'RE not gonna use it..." ;)

#7 ·
Try to find a big piece of cardboard, such as a box for a water heater or some other kind of large object. You can staple it onto a couple of lengths of wood, sharpen the ends of the wood, and drive them into the ground. Staple (or paint) a fairly large (12" x 12"?) target in the center of the cardboard, then back off 100 yards, at least for starters. If you do fairly good at that distance, then try it at 200 yards....or more. The holes in the cardboard and the target can be patched with masking tape after every shooting session. It's cheap, since most hardware stores toss out all of their large cardboard boxes, and you can probably find some suitable wood for the poles in a "discard" pile somewhere.

Of course, take along either a spotting scope or binoculars, so that you won't have to walk out to the target every time to find out where you're hitting it. When the cardboard gets too many holes, it can be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.