Gunner Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that the latest and greatest in the shooting world is Red Dot sights. Every gun magazine sings their praises. Never have used one. Seems like in this era of sky high ammo prices ( if you can find any) and higher gun prices this is a bad time to be hawking an item that boosts the cost of a handgun by $100 to $500. What's your opinions??

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
I put one (Bushnell) on my Super Black Hawk 44 Mag for hunting and at 100 yards it covers a good chunk of the target. I think a scope would be more accurate but but at closer ranges acquisition is quick and it works just fine. My 73 year old eyes need a little help but for closer range (25 yards and in) handgun shooting I use regular sights.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
When you first try one, it's embarrassing how much the dot dances around. You think, "Am I that bad ?".......:oops:

I've never owned one, but think they'd be a great training aid to develop a steady grip. Hunting or targets, it's just personal choice. I've met people that like them, or don't. For self defense, I wouldn't want to rely on one. "Hey Mr. Bad Guy, can you wait a minute, my battery just died"........:sick:

·
Registered
82 Posts
RED DOTS ARE GOOD FOR TRAINING OR MAYBE TARGGET SHOOTING . THEY HAVE TO BE SET . ADJUSTED FOR DISTANCE . LIKE ANYTHING ESLE , YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE / LEARN THE EQUIPTMENT - SORRY , CAP KEY IS STUCK AGAIN .

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
I've use a Red Dot on my brush guns, quick acquisition but no magnification. I can select brightness and size of dot.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
If you have an astigmatism like I do, the dot looks more like a coma.
I think red dots are fine for general shooting and rapid acquisition, but not for precision.
I have red dots and scopes, and I prefer scopes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts