Gunner Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local pawn shop has a DoubleStar DSC DS-4 Carbine - never fired - for $699. The carry handle is not detachable. Would this be a good buy, or should I wait and save up more money.....tia for your opinions.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I'd shop around a bit more. My local has a few used ones for around $800 with flat tops. That gives you a lot more options for optics. If you never plan on using anything other than the peep sights, and don't want or need the option of a scope, go for it. You could always buy a different upper in the future.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Wizrd, are you going with the 5.56? I assumed you were, but with so many calibers available now, who knows. Me myself, I'd pick another one. The 6.8SPC, is a real nice round, but if I had to do it again, I'd go with a 308.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going with the 5.56, so that my wife can shoot it if necessary. She's tiny, and a 308 would be too much recoil for her.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I see. I'm going to sell my Colt if you're interested, but it'll be way more than $700. :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Wizard said:
I'm going with the 5.56, so that my wife can shoot it if necessary. She's tiny, and a 308 would be too much recoil for her.....
if you get the socom II no problem with the recoil.that muzzel brake works and you can get a fast follow up shot.

pete

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pete, I don't know very much about this type of weapon....what is the "socom II"......

BH, thanks for the heads up on the Colt, but, I have to keep the cost down, so that I can buy ammo to feed it.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Pete, you changed the stock?

Wizard, the Socom is agreat weapon, but if you're looking to keep the price low, it's probably not what you're looking for. The surplus ammo for the 7.62x51 is just as cheap as the 5.56 is in most cases.

G

·
0 Posts
no I borrowed the pic to show its "real" close to the size of a 10/22 or a M1 carbine but in 7.62X51 nato.

mine is still in the orginal stock.

pete

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I wait until after Dec, then I can afford to spend a little more.....my truck will be paid for.....still gonna look around....maybe I can figure out what I should get.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Keep checking in at all the local shops, and do a lot of looking online. I got the M1A, and am very happy I spent the $1200. The gun is great from point blank to 1000 yards in the right hands. Granted those hands aren't mine. :lol:

I really like something that will hit hard at distances. The 5.56 is a great round, but some here, and on other boards, got me thinking about harder hitting rounds. That's why I got the 6.8SPC upper. That's a pretty good round. Then I bumped into the M1A and couldn't refuse at the price. Jen is pretty small and she can handle the recoil of the 308 and the 30-06 just fine. She has a 30-06 Remmy. With the price of the 308 surplus, you can afford to shoot the gun too. If I had a choice of the full size M1A or the Socom, I'd go with the Socom. I like the shorter gun for CQB.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
An M1A of any model is worth the wait in my opinion.

G

·
0 Posts
might want to check the CMP and price a M-1 if you want a full size rifle.
they are cheaper than the M1A and buy your ammo thru the cmp.they have some good deals on greek ammo right now....PING.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts