Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bass Pro finally got a Savage 93F in 22 Mag in stock so I ordered and had it shipped to the store in Hooksett, NH. They say shipping will take 8-10 days. It will give me a little more smack down on the woodchuck population. I'll wait as one of the questions on the BP website said it comes with as base for scope mounting and another said it's D&T'ed. I suspect it will take the groove mounted rings which should be just fine and I'll pick up a set while I'm there. I have spare scopes I can mount. It's supposed to have a Savage accru-trigger on it but looking at the picture I'm doubtful.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Bass Pro finally got a Savage 93F in 22 Mag in stock so I ordered and had it shipped to the store in Hooksett, NH. They say shipping will take 8-10 days. It will give me a little more smack down on the woodchuck population. I'll wait as one of the questions on the BP website said it comes with as base for scope mounting and another said it's D&T'ed. I suspect it will take the groove mounted rings which should be just fine and I'll pick up a set while I'm there. I have spare scopes I can mount. It's supposed to have a Savage accru-trigger on it but looking at the picture I'm doubtful.
Congratulations on your new Woodchuck eradicator.
My 93F is a .17HMR from a couple years ago, and it came drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and has the AccuTrigger.
I'm pretty sure they all do.

The only reason I bought it in.17 was because I didn't have one. Shoots very flat, but wind effects it quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you put a rail on it or just standard weaver bases?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Went to the Savage site. In the top photo, is that Weaver rings? Specs lists the AccuTrigger.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the Savage site. In the top photo, is that Weaver rings? Specs lists the AccuTrigger.

Tough to say for certain but looks like a rail to me. The bases are usually 2 piece and covered by the rings.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Son in law acquired a new Savage 270 called. Should have gotten the specifics. A friend bought it last Fall and moved out of state and left it with him, got a call last month saying it was now his. I told him to clean and lube it and get a case, nice looking rifle!

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got an e-mail the rifle is in at the Bass Pro so will head over to Hooksett, NH in the morning. It's about 45 miles from here and we have someplace to be in the afternoon. Will leave here around 8:00 as NH background checks can be slow to respond.

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
gunjunkie do you know the details on the rail you put on yours?

Amazon.com: EGW Savage 93 (1-5/8" Ejection Port) Picatinny Rail Scope Mounts 0 MOA: Sports & Outdoors

If that is the one which way is forward? In eyeballing it with the scope I need to be back a little from where the screw holes are for the bases to get eye relief on the scope I was going to use. I also have a 1.5x4 shotgun scope that looks like I wouldn't need offset rings if I used the standard weaver bases with it but wanted to use the 3x9 I have. If I can move back on the rail it looks like it would work

Thanks

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I dug my 93 out, and that one looks just like mine.
I thought I'd bought it off Amazon, but it wasn't in my purchase history. So I don't remember where I bought it.
I'm using a 3-9x40 Nikon, and it is mounted just as far back as can be without causing the bell to hit the front of the rail.

Did you get the plain wood, plywood or the synthetic stock?

edit: After lookin around on the internet, I'm pretty sure mine is an EGW too.

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you look at the pic the holes are at one end and then a couple of spaces beyond the holes on the opposite end. Just wondering if the extra room is in the rear or if there is no front or back to the rail. If the front is the right side of the pic then it should work on 3x and I'll crane my neck at 9X

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
On mine, the cantilevered end (left in the pic) is over the barrel.
I don't remember trying to reverse it, but just measuring it while mounted, I don't think the cantilevered end would clear the back of the scope.
My mounts are pretty short though. The front of the scope has about 3/16" clearance with the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK thanks. I may give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ordered the rail. All the reading I had done on the #16 Weaver Bases said the screws could be too long for the rifle and I didn't feel like messing with it. Get it set up and zero @ 75 yds and wait for the vermin to show their face.

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the rail yesterday and liked the made in USA on it not so much the rings but they worked. I put the rail on this morning and only one way it it will go so blue locktite on the rail screws and then mounted the rings and scope. Got the eye relief right where I wanted it to be so snugged some and left the rings so I can turn the scope if I need to. Looks pretty straight but will get the bore sighter out later then snug it all down. Hit the range later this week. I have a couple 50 round boxes of older CCI Maxi Mags so will see how they do. Figure a 75 yard sight in for around here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got the rail yesterday and liked the made in USA on it not so much the rings but they worked. I put the rail on this morning and only one way it it will go so blue locktite on the rail screws and then mounted the rings and scope. Got the eye relief right where I wanted it to be so snugged some and left the rings so I can turn the scope if I need to. Looks pretty straight but will get the bore sighter out later then snug it all down. Hit the range later this week. I have a couple 50 round boxes of older CCI Maxi Mags so will see how they do. Figure a 75 yard sight in for around here.
Solid good work

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bore sighter option is out as it starts at .243 so the old fashion way and that is an awful small hole for these old eyes so plan C. Shoot it at a target in the middle of a big piece of cardboard at 50 yards. Thinking Thursday even though I'll be staring at 4 yards of mulch.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The bore sighter option is out as it starts at .243 so the old fashion way and that is an awful small hole for these old eyes so plan C. Shoot it at a target in the middle of a big piece of cardboard at 50 yards. Thinking Thursday even though I'll be staring at 4 yards of mulch.
Try lookin through a .17.
I've used plan C quite a bit. That's why I cut down appliance boxes to keep around.

That mulch will still be there Friday.

Reactions: Terry_P

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I used to be in the working world I had access to old blueprints that were redone with updates. They worked good turned around and stapled to the target frame.

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the rifle sight in will have to wait. Weather changed for the weekend with rain everyday. Supposed to get 2 1/2" by Monday so figured I would seed the portion of the lawn I finished so I mowed the lawn and spread the mulch today. Tomorrow I'll roll the area, put down limestone, plant grass seed and rake it in. Let it rain. I already spread the 18 yards of loam I had delivered and that did over half the area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts