Gunner Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my brother's yesterday to see Mom....after she left us guys went to the back to do some shooting....shot my new used KP97DC---flawless...my 15-year-old is deadly with it and says he likes it better than the P95....wouldn't mind dumping the P95 and getting another 97 for him...he's that good with it.....says it feels better and he loves the "thump" as he calls it...watching him shoot...he's much more comfortable with the .45 and hits consistantly.....

My new used KP95DC...now that's another story...firing with two new stiff Ruger 15-rounder mags and ball ammo...put 100 rds through it....had one fte and about 12 ftf.....gun's accurate enough, but I've about decided I may keep it to have one 9mm if shtf and there're a lot of 9mm rounds laying in the streets....but I'm not going to buy another 9mm...it just gets a "no confidence" vote next to the .45---it just ain't my cuppa tea.....I'm going to take it down and clean it, polish the ramp, strip the mags and buff the interiors and followers (Plastic) and see what happens...I've got another two new Ruger mags at the shop to pick up and that'll make me 4 and one 10-rounder....I'll either keep it or trade the package for another KP90DC or KP97DC-till I decide, I'll keep laying in .45 ball.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Any idea what was causing the ftf's? Light strikes?

I like shooting a 45 better than a 9mm too. Although my girl's XD-9 is a great shooter. :)

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Failure to feed...sorry for the unclear abbrev...round would go partway in and hang at a sharp angle...I blame the magazine but I'm gonna "butter" the ramp, too...

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Ah that makes sense. I thought you were having failure to fires. I had one in my 1911 first time out. Still bothers me. I'm thinking that the mag may be at fault in your case. I hope you get it figured out. Nothing worse than a gun that'll jam. Even at the range. :(

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With factory mags...it's usually the ramp at fault in a 1911...polishing the ramp and even having it deep-throated is a good step....you're right...not having every-time confidence in your gun sure takes away from the pleasure of the range...and totally takes away the confidence to carry it....I'll tweak and shoot, tweek and shoot....till it'll feed perfectly...I have confidence in the platform...not this particular sample....it still had the blue and red dot stickers on it...if fired, it wasn't much....I'd put my money on these tight mags being the problem...but I wasn't smart enough to fire the 10-rounder I had there with me that came in it.....duh.......just din't think of it....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
the p95------i've shot them before and read tons about them but have never owned one.......

Failures seem to be rare, but have read of a few problems concernin' the ejector either ridin' high touchin' the slide affectin' slide velocities or ridin' low and the top round in the magazine is pushin' it off a bit at an angle causing feed problems.

Just guessin' but if ya load her and slowly hand cycle it a bit ya might see if somethin' is out of wack.................

since this was a used gun, the previous owner might have abused her a bit----especially durin' assembly and dis-assembly as a lot of folks don't read the manual, get the ejector in the wrong position on disassembly and re-assembly, and then try to force things back together possibly damage or bendin' to the ejector, before backin' up and doin' it the right way------pure guess work there but i've seen a bent ejector on a p89 that was abused in such a way.............just no tellin' how the previous owner treated this weapon............

courious-----what brand ammo on the 95?

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
B-K Bullet, San Antonio...will check the things you suggested-I know it's gotta be minor...

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
I'll bet my money that the previous owner was a real genius. I bought my P94 new 13+ years ago and have fired hundreds of rounds without a failure of any kind. Reloads or factory 40 S&W it eats them all up. In various forums I have heard many that have had the same experience as me and rarely have I heard issues with a P-series pistol (except the P345). Your idea of polishing the feed ramp should help the feed issues. I don't know how you could tell if the springs are original but if other measures don't help then try changing. I'd be interested in what happens with the new mags.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pawn shop I bought it from...all bets are off on who had it....and what they did to it......but it's worth refining a little.....the KP and the DC won my heart......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts